April 4, 2022
Do you remember in the early days of iPhones when Apple ran that commercial with the tagline, “There’s an app for that”? As National Library Week kicked off yesterday, I started thinking about all the unique offerings available at MCPL, and specifically all the “kits” that can be checked out and taken home to explore a variety of topics. It reminded me of that tagline, and how there is a Library kit, resource, or service that can help with nearly any topic!
Here are just a few of the various unique “kits” MCPL offers:
- Access Wellness Kits – Equipped with four health monitoring devices, Access Wellness Kits are designed to give you a chance to take the temperature (literally!) on your personal health! Each kit comes with a thermometer, blood pressure cuff, pulse oximeter, scale, and a directory of free or low-cost healthcare resources in the metro that you can use if you’d like to follow up with a healthcare professional.
- Book Group Kits – If you’ve been thinking about forming your own book group with some friends, reach out to MCPL’s Book Group Service to get started! You’ll get a supply of 10 copies of the same title, conveniently bagged, and sent to the branch of your choice.
- Chromebooks and Hotspots – Many people are surprised to learn that the Library checks out both laptops and internet hotspots as part of its “Tech To Go” offerings. If you’re working or studying at home and need a faster connection or better device, these are a great option.
- Civics and Citizenship Toolkits – These handy kits, which come with flashcards and study guides on a variety of topics related to the history and government of the United States, are a great resource for local residents who are studying to obtain their U.S. citizenship or for students simply looking to brush up on their civics knowledge.
- Grow A Reader To Go Storytime Kits – Sometimes called “storytime in a bag,” these handy kits have all the tools you need to replicate MCPL’s early literacy skill-building storytimes with your little ones at home. There are books, activities, and more, and all kits are themed and created for different age groups in mind.
- Fishing Poles – As the weather warms, you might be looking for outdoor activities for the family, and select MCPL branches offer fishing poles and tackle boxes, courtesy of the Missouri Department of Conservation.
- Library-By-Mail – Although this service isn’t exactly a “kit,” Library-By-Mail is an incredible offering that allows individuals who are unable to visit their local MCPL branch the opportunity to get Library materials delivered directly to their doorsteps!
Do you have a favorite “kit” or unique Library resource or service? This National Library Week, explore all the ways the Library is “your place” for innovation, information, ideas, and inspiration, and stop by your local MCPL branch to get a special window decal, while supplies last!
Community Relations and Planning