In order to make sure that no child is disappointed by not being able to check out materials when their daycare or class visits the Library, and to strive to make sure every child has an MCPL card, we have recently updated our Registration Policy and Procedures for daycare facilities.
Group Visits to the Library
- Please call your branch and schedule your visit at least two (2) weeks in advance to avoid conflicts with other Library programs or group visits.
- Once you have scheduled a visit, you will be provided with letters to parents and permission forms for any child up through completion of grade 5. The letters and permission slips need to be sent home to be signed by a parent or guardian if they wish their child to receive an MCPL card.
- All permission slips must be returned to the branch by the teacher/caregiver at least five (5) working days before the visit to the branch. This will allow staff members time to prepare new cards. If a child already has a MCPL card, it is not necessary to have the permission slip signed. (Parents should check with the branch to make sure the card is valid before the visit so the child is not embarrassed by not being able to check out materials.)
- No new cards can be issued without the signed permission form unless a child is in 6th grade or above.
- Only children who present an MCPL card will be allowed to check out materials. Those receiving new cards will be limited to two (2) items at this initial checkout.
Library Visits to Daycares and Schools
- When MCPL staff members schedule a visit to your facility, they will deliver the letters for parents and the permission slips to you at least two (2) weeks before their visit. These need to be sent home and signed by a parent or guardian if they wish their child to receive an MCPL card during the staff's visit to the daycare or school.
- All permission slips need to be returned to the visiting branch by the teacher/caregiver at least five (5) working days before the visit. This will allow MCPL staff time to prepare new cards and contact parents/guardians regarding problems with existing accounts. Library staff will bring library cards with them to the visit and can distribute them to the children at that time.
- No cards will be issued without the signed permission form unless a child is in 6th grade or above.
We hope that a little advance planning will allow children to have a positive library experience, encouraging them to become life-long customers, and enhancing their learning experience.
If you have any questions regarding these procedures related to your facility, please contact your local branch.