December 19, 2022
It’s hard to believe that another year is headed to a close. As we reflect on 2022, the individuals we lost and their impact on our lives come to mind. Here are just a few of the celebrities who died this year and some of their notable works that you can access with your Library card:
- Angela Lansbury – An Irish-British and American actress whose 80-year career included a wide range of movie and TV roles that earned her international acclaim. You may recognize her from Murder, She Wrote or remember her voice as Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast.
- Betty Davis – A prolific singer, songwriter, and model whose musical career had a great impact on the funk genre of music. Her work has been featured in numerous TV series, including Orange Is the New Black. Davis was also married to jazz legend Miles Davis for a period of time.
- Bob Saget – Considered America’s TV dad by many, Saget is most recognized for his role on Full House, but he was also a stand-up comedian and later hosted America’s Funniest Home Videos.
- Coolio – Artis Leon Ivey, Jr., known professionally as Coolio, was an iconic American rapper who rose to fame in the ’90s. Many remember Coolio best for his song “Gangsta’s Paradise,” but did you know he was also an avid cook and wrote a cookbook?
- Gilbert Gottfried – A stand-up comedian and actor, Gottfried was most known for his distinct voice, which many will remember from Iago (Jafar’s bird) in Aladdin.
- Leslie Allen Jordan – Perhaps best known for his recurring role as Beverly Leslie on Will & Grace, Jordan was a beloved comedian, actor, author, and singer whose entertaining social media presence earned him a new generation of fans in recent years.
- Loretta Lynn – Often viewed as country music royalty, Lynn released dozens of albums with numerous chart-topping hits that earned her a variety of awards, including several Grammys.
- Nichelle Nichols – An actress, singer, and dancer, Nichols is best known for her seminal role as Nyota Uhura in the original Star Trek.
- Queen Elizabeth II – It was impossible to miss the news of the long-ruling British monarch’s death. From countless biographies and documentaries to children’s books and the popular fictionalized show The Crown, there is no shortage of materials to learn more about the Queen and her life and legacy.
- Sidney Poitier – A legendary and trailblazing actor who was the first Black man to win an Oscar for Best Actor. Poitier is often remembered for his roles in Lilies of the Field, To Sir, With Love, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and In the Heat of the Night, but he was also an accomplished author of two autobiographies and a suspense fiction novel called Montaro Caine.
- Taylor Hawkins – Fans of the Foo Fighters will recognize Hawkins as the band’s longtime drummer.
Many other talented and impactful people were lost in 2022 as well. Explore the Library’s catalog to revisit their work and keep their memories alive.