March 31, 2022
Did you know that the Library provides the tools to get your child ready for kindergarten? First off, get your kid—no matter how young—signed up for their own Library card! Once you have a card, here are a few quick steps and links to help:
- Keep track of their reading with these paper logs.
- Get the Grow A Reader App for free on your phone or device.
- Check out the events page on the Library’s website, and see when your local branch is hosting storytime. Take your kids to storytime and engage with other children, play games, dance, sing songs, and listen to stories.
- If you can’t make it to an in-person storytime, check out Mid-Continent Public Library on YouTube for early literacy tips and virtual storytimes.
- Bring storytime home with Grow A Reader to Go Storytime Kits.
- Need a good bedtime story to listen to? Try Dial-A-Story and listen to one of five stories read aloud by Library staff members.
Did you know that growing a reader goes beyond just reading, writing, and listening to stories? You can help grow a reader by singing, playing, rhyming, sharing, creating, and encouraging their imagination. Ask a staff member at your local MCPL branch for more fun ways to help your little reader!
Finally, did you know that when your little reader completes the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge, they will be entered into a monthly drawing for their own book and a stuffed Marty the Martian toy (the Library’s mascot!)?
What are you waiting for? Get your Library card and start planting the seeds to grow your little reader!
Red Bridge Branch
Read Similar Blogs: