Home of The Story Center, a mission-enhancement program of Mid-Continent Public Library, the historic Woodneath home is a distinctive resource for MCPL customers. Originally constructed in 1855-56, the house was dedicated in November 2021 after an extensive, privately funded adaptive reuse project. The project created unique interior spaces designated for public use.
MCPL is committed to maximizing customer experiences of the Story Center and the home while maintaining stewardship of this significant cultural resource and using it in ways that complement the Story Center’s mission.
- Intended uses of reserved spaces must complement the mission of the Story Center to help people create, share, and connect with stories.
- Spaces cannot be reserved for individual work. The Woodneath branch library features several study rooms for this purpose.
- Reservations must be made with and coordinated by a member of the Story Center staff.
- Reservations must be made at least one month in advance; they cannot be made on a walk-up basis.
- Food is not permitted in the house; covered drinks are okay.
- The house does not have a bathroom or running water, which are available in the Woodneath branch library.
- Spaces are reservable for a minimum of two hours.
Four parking spots are reserved in the lot on the south side of the historic home. The Woodneath Library Center is accessible through sliding doors on the south side. A lift inside the library provides access to the cafe, which is directly across from the accessible public restrooms. Story Center staff are available to help operate the lift. Access to the ground floor of the historic home is through the cafe. There is a rubber ramp leading to the door that is 32 inches wide. Access to the second floor of the historic home is via an elevator that opens to the main concourse of the branch. Story Center staff are also available to help operate the elevator. For more information about accessibility, please contact Mark Livengood, Story Center Director, at (816) 883-4793 or firstname.lastname@example.org.