March 24, 2021
A lot of people picked up “do it yourself” (DIY) projects and crafting during their recent months at home, and that crafty spirit isn’t showing any signs of slowing down! If you’re looking for your next project, here is a collection of Library resources and other websites and apps that can help you along the way.
- Universal Class – You can find several unique self-paced courses here. Courses average between 7 to 12 hours of estimated work time, but you can work through everything at your own pace.
- Lynda.com – Here you can find quick video tutorials for several handy projects. Most are geared toward the professional environment and skill building (like learning photography).
- Gale Resources – MCPL has lots of unique online resources from Gale, the educational resource provider, including Gardening and Horticulture, Home Improvement, and Culinary Arts. Each of these resources offers up a wide variety of helpful articles.
- Books and eBooks – MCPL has tons of books to choose from on all kinds of DIY topics. Some are great for finding new ideas, while others provide detailed, step-by-step instructions. You can find them using the Library’s online catalog, or if you are specifically looking for eBooks, you can check them out through OverDrive!
- YouTube – If you’re a visual learner and enjoy video instruction, then YouTube is the place for you! There are videos galore detailing all kinds of different projects you can take on. Creators have videos for crafts, repairs, clever replacements, and so much more!
- Pinterest – Using Pinterest, you can find thousands of “pins” with ideas, tips, tricks, and instructions for all kinds of cool DIY projects.
- Family Handyman – The online version of this magazine has tons of ideas for your next DIY adventure, as well as articles and instructions to help you along the way.
- Instructables – This website provides a huge number of DIY ideas and instructions. New projects are made easy with step-by-step instructions and video tutorials.
- DoItYourself.com – Using this site, you can search for all kinds of unique projects and instructions on how to handle repairs and replacements in and around your home.
- DIY Network – You’ll find information from the actual DIY Network TV channel as well as a variety of how-tos and DIY tips and tricks.
- Tool Apps – There are tons of different measurement and level apps available on both Apple and Android devices. Some of those include:
- DIY Tip Genius – This app is loaded with tips and tricks for all kinds of DIY projects.
- wikiHow – A website and an app, wikiHow provides step-by-step tutorials for all kinds of needs—from how to boil an egg to complex home repairs.
- Paint Picker Apps – Several big-name hardware and paint supply stores and paint brands have created paint picker apps. Some apps utilize augmented reality (AR) to let you test the color on your walls in real time, while others just give you a clear picture of the paint colors. Some popular choices include:
I hope these tools can help you reach your DIY dreams! Good luck on all of your new projects and happy crafting!
Consumer Technology Specialist
Read Similar Blogs:
Crafts and Hobbies
Home and Garden