February 18, 2021
Online watching and listening are the new norm in our world! If you’re looking for a more cost-effective option than Netflix, Hulu, or Disney+, try the Library! Here are just a few of the free online streaming services you can access with your Library card:
- OverDrive Video – This resource has thousands of films, including popular mainstream movies, children’s films, documentaries, music videos, instructional videos, and stage productions. Similarly structured to Netflix, this site features recommendations based on popular topics and interests. OverDrive can also be used to access eBooks, eAudiobooks, graphic novels, and magazines. Just download the OverDrive app to your phone, log into your Library account, and let the Library guide you to whatever you want to watch, read, or listen to!
- Access Video on Demand – Whether you are a student, entrepreneur, job seeker, or simply enjoy movies and shows, this resource is for you. With hundreds of television episodes, movies, and educational videos, as well as an easy-to-search interface, this comprehensive video site is an ideal resource to learn something new. Access Video on Demand showcases independent films, theatrical performances, documentaries from popular television companies (HBO, BBC, PBS, and A&E), and more.
- Medici.tv is the leading streaming service for classical music concerts, ballets, and operas. One of the unique touches of this site are the 100+ Master Classes offered for these artistic subjects by professionals and teachers. Additionally, the site continues to contribute more than 100 new videos each year, so the content stays fresh. If you’d like even more music concerts, dance performances, and documentaries, I’d suggest Dance in Video or Classical Music in Video, which features over 20,000 hours of content.
- Freegal Music provides Library users with access to the extensive Sony Music catalog, including 15 million songs from 40,000 artists, thousands of music videos, and hundreds of audiobooks. In addition to streaming, one of the nice perks of this resource is the ability to download and keep up to five songs per week for free.
- Just for Kids Access Video – I can’t sing enough praises for this video site for young kids. If you want your kids to watch television that features some of their favorite characters, check it out. A branch-off of Access Video, this site gives kids and their grown-ups the ability to navigate a variety of topics for school as well as enjoy TV shows.
- Muzzy Online has video guides to learn eight different languages, including 118 videos that are great for ESL learners. Amongst the collection of over 9,000 titles and 12,000+ episodes that cover reading, writing, science, math, and more, are episodes of popular shows, such as Reading Rainbow, Sesame Street, Daniel Tiger, Arthur, Caillou, Wild Kratts, and more.
Check out all of Mid-Continent Public Library’s resources for streaming videos, music, and movies for some fun and free experiences!
Red Bridge Branch