Museum Pass Program
This service is currently on hold as participating museums are in various stages of reopening. Details about this program’s relaunch will be announced at a later date.
In 2019, Mid-Continent Public Library, the City of Independence, and the Jackson County Historical Society launched the MCPL Museum Pass as a pilot program in a selection of branches on April 1, 2019.
Due to the closure of the participating Independence attractions through the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns, and the renovation of the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum, the program has been postponed until further notice.
The program provides complimentary admission to select attractions and museums.
The following museums participate on a seasonal basis:
- Vaile Mansion (April 1 – October 31)
- National Frontier Trails Museum (year-round)
- The Chicago & Alton Railroad Depot (April 1 – October 31)
- The 1859 Jail and Marshal’s Home and Museum (April 1 - December 31)
- The Bingham-Waggoner Estate (April 1 – October 31)
- The National WWI Museum and Memorial (year-round)
- Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum (closed for renovation until Fall 2020)
How does it work?
MCPL cardholders who are 18 years of age and older can check out a Museum Pass for up to one week. Each Museum Pass includes a voucher valid for four adult, senior, or child admissions to one specific attraction. Passes are valid for general admission only.
- Cardholders may only check out a Museum Pass to one attraction at a time.
- Museum Pass vouchers will be available for checkout in person on a first-come, first-served basis, and a checkout cannot be renewed.
- Each Museum Pass can only used one time at each attraction. The attractions track the pass number presented at the beginning of your visit.
- Museum Passes may be returned to any MCPL branch. Passes must be returned by the end of the seven-day checkout period.
- Fines and fees will apply for late or lost Museum Passes.
Where can I check them out?
When the program relaunches, passes will be available at all MCPL locations.
This program is made possible through a partnership with the Independence Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Department, the Jackson County Historical Society, the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library, and the National WWI Museum.