Planning Your Visit
When planning your trip to the Midwest Genealogy Center, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- The Midwest Genealogy Center is open to the public six days a week. Hours are 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday and 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Personal belongings such as rolling cases or backpacks can be brought into the Library. Lockers are also available free of charge.
- Personal devices such as laptops, tablets, scanners, and cameras are allowed.
- Public computers are available for use as well as free WiFi for personal devices.
- If you want to print or copy materials, please bring change or small bills. You may print from mobile devices, as well. For more on customer-use equipment, review our FAQs.
- Flash drives can be used to save computer documents, microfilm images, or book scans. Flash drives are available for purchase.
- Food and drinks are permitted in the customer lounge, and spill proof drink containers can be taken throughout the library.
- Vending machines are available to purchase snacks and drinks.
If you live in the Kansas City metro area and don't have an MCPL Access Pass (library card), you can get one online! Visitors from outside of the Kansas City metro area will need to visit in person to get a card.
Visiting Independence, MO
The Midwest Genealogy Center is located in historic Independence, MO about 15 minutes east of downtown Kansas City. The Center is conveniently located just north of I-70 on Lee’s Summit Road and is a short drive to the Truman Sports Complex that is home to Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums.
When you’re ready to take a break from your research, you can retrace the steps of President Harry S. Truman at the Harry S Truman National Historic Site, the Independence Square, and other stops in town (his Presidential Library and Museum will be closed for renovation for one year beginning July 21, 2019). You can walk in the footsteps of American pioneers who started their journeys west on the Santa Fe, Oregon, and California Trails right here in Independence at the National Frontier Trails Museum. Independence offers unique shopping experiences, local history sites, as well as a variety of accommodations choices and places to eat.
Tours of MGC
Visiting groups are asked to give advance notice of their trip to the library and may request a guided tour of the Midwest Genealogy Center. Tours cover the wide variety of resources available as well as building amenities. Tours last 45 minutes to 1 hour and are a great way to get to know the Library quickly and efficiently. Advance reservations are required as tour scheduling is dependent on staff availability. To schedule a tour, please MGC@mymcpl.org or call 816.252.7228.