Planning Your Visit
When planning your trip to the Midwest Genealogy Center, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- Personal belongings such as rolling cases or backpacks can be brought into the library. Lockers are also available free of charge.
- Personal devices such as laptops, tablets, scanners, and cameras are allowed
- Public Computers are available for use as well as free Wi-Fi for personal devices
- If you want to print or copy materials, please bring change or small bills. You may print from mobile devices as well. For more on customer-use equipment, review our FAQs.
- Flash drives can be used to save computer documents, microfilm images, or book scans. Flash drives are available for purchase.
- Food and drinks are permitted in the customer lounge and spill proof drink containers can be taken throughout the library.
- Vending Machines are available to purchase snacks and drinks.
If you don't have a library card, you can get one online! (Visitors outside of the Kansas City metro area will need to visit in person to get a card)
Restaurants and Lodging
For information on local lodging and dining options, see the Restaurant and Lodging Guide (PDF, 725KB) which is provided for informational purposes only.
Visiting groups are asked to give advance notice of their trip to the library and may request a guided tour of the Midwest Genealogy Center. Tours cover the wide variety of resources available as well as building amenities. Tours last 45 minutes to 1 hour and are a great way to get to know the Library quickly and efficiently. Advance reservations are required as tour scheduling is dependent on staff availability. To schedule a tour, please MGC@mymcpl.org or call 816.252.7228.