ReadLOCAL is a Mid-Continent Public Library initiative that highlights local authors through a collection of books by writers living within the greater MCPL service area. The titles within this collection are published through traditional publishers, small presses, independent publishers, and self-publishing and reflect a variety of reading interests for children, teens and adults.
ReadLOCAL is no longer a curated program. All submissions will be automatically accepted under the following conditions:
- The author lives within the Mid-Continent Public Library’s service area
- The author is an MCPL cardholder
- The book was originally published within the last 3 years
- The book fits the collection policy and practices of Mid-Continent Public Library [i.e. binding is library appropriate/no spiral binding, there is no attached media, the item has an ISBN, etc.…]
- Adult fiction novellas will not be accepted [under 100 pages]
- Authors are limited to five books per calendar year
- The author donates 1 new copy in good condition
- A copy of the ReadLOCAL Submission Form must be included when the book is donated.
The donated copies can be dropped off at any MCPL location and should be identified to staff as ReadLOCAL items that must be sent to the Collection Development Department.