February 7, 2022
On February 6, 1952, Princess Elizabeth succeeded to the throne after the death of her father, King George VI, and was crowned Queen Elizabeth II at age 27. This February, 70 years later, Her Majesty will celebrate her Platinum Jubilee, an event honoring her life and reign. This celebration is not limited to a single party, however; instead, it consists of national and community events designed to mark the momentous occasion.
Citizens can look forward to the Platinum Pudding Competition (Limited to UK residents…drats!) and Plant a Tree for the Jubilee, as a part of the Queen’s Green Canopy initiative.
As we wait for the celebrations to begin, why not pick up a book and get to know Her Royal Highness just a little better?
- Queen Elizabeth II and the Royal Family – This gorgeous coffee table book is a dazzling photographic account of Queen Elizabeth, her family, and the history of the British monarchy.
- Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Bedell Smith – Acclaimed biographer Sally Bedell Smith pulls back the curtain to show in detail the public and private lives of the Queen.
- Our Rainbow Queen by Sali Hughes – A Tribute to the Queen and her colorful wardrobe, with a style and image that has spanned over nine decades!
- The Queen’s Corgis by Penny Junor – This book, complete with photographs, shares the stories of the Queen’s closest companions over the years, her corgis, dorgis, and gundogs! A delightful book for all, especially dog lovers.
- Young Elizabeth by Kate Williams – A biography of the young princess, who at the age of 11, found that she was heiress to the throne.
For more royal titles, check out our book list in the MCPL catalog: The Queen and the Throne.
Information and Reader Services
Read Similar Blogs:
Books and Reading