March 9, 2022
This year marks the 94th Academy Awards, honoring the best in film with a wide selection of categories, including cinematography, directing, costume design, and of course, the highlight of the show—Best Picture. The award is officially called the “Academy Award of Merit,” but it is known by its moniker “Oscar,” which the Academy adopted back in 1939. The solid bronze statue is plated in 24 carat gold, weighing a hefty 8.5 pounds, and is one of the most recognized awards in the world. For factoids related to the trophy, check out Oscar Statuette Facts.
Though there can be only one winner, it is a prestigious honor to be nominated. This achievement will follow an actor throughout the rest of their career, with “Oscar Nominated” tagged in their film credits.
The Academy Awards will be televised on March 27. Watch as the stars hold their breath and wait for their name to be called! And while you wait, explore the glitz, glamor, and gossip of the Oscars:
- 80 Years of the Oscar: The Official History of the Academy Awards by Robert Osborne
- Life in Hollywood by the editors of Life
- The Academy Awards: The Complete Unofficial History by Gail Kinn
- Oscar Fever: The History and Politics of the Academy Awards by Emanuel Levy
- The Big Show: High Times and Dirty Dealings Backstage at the Academy Awards by Steve Pond
- Hollywood Musicals Nominated for Best Picture by Frederick G. Vogel
- The Complete Book of Oscar Fashion by Reeve Chace
Who are your picks this year?
Information and Reader Service