July 1, 2023
At Mid-Continent Public Library, we know the joy that children experience when they find a book that really excites them. We also know the importance of helping them find another book like it, and another one, and another one! That’s why our branch staff are always happy to assist customers of all ages find their next great read and why the Library provides a wide range of services and online resources that can help with this as well.
Do you have a young reader who is looking for a book to engage and inspire them? Explore a few of the resources available through MCPL (and beyond) that can help match them with the perfect read!
- MCPL’s online catalog allows you to search for books by title, author, series, and subject. So, if your teen is looking for a book series about dragons, you can easily search for this and even narrow down by format (eBook or graphic novel, for example).
- Your Next Read is MCPL’s very own personalized reading service that caters to your specific reading needs. Just fill out an online form and receive a custom list of reading suggestions based on your suggestions.
- Library book groups provide a fun and social way to learn about, read, and discuss books, and many MCPL branches regularly host these for different age groups.
- Book Connections – Users can find information on juvenile and teen series by browsing the collection or through an advanced search.
- NoveList K-8 Plus – Offers basic and advanced searches of teen and children’s titles that can be filtered by “series”
- What’s Next: Books in a Series is a database developed and maintained by Kent District Library in Michigan that includes adult and youth fiction titles in a series.
Another resource that MCPL has previously offered to help meet this need is the Juvenile Series and Sequels database. However, due to the abundance of other similar resources, including those mentioned above, the Library will retire this service on October 1, 2023. If you enjoyed this service, be sure to explore the suggestions above, or call or stop by your local MCPL branch, and a staff member will help your young reader find that next great title or series. You can also contact email@example.com with any questions or for assistance using Library resources.
Help your child experience the joy of finding their next great read with help from the Library!
MCPL Youth Services Department