The Reading Rocket lands at sites all over Clay, Platte, and Jackson counties, delivering quality storytimes and opportunities to help families play, learn, and grow together.
In collaboration with partner organizations and staff from nearby MCPL branches, the team brings library services out of the branch and into the community at large.
The Reading Rocket team works to bring the best parts of the Library experience out of the branch and into the community.
- Early Literacy Storytimes for preschools, daycares, afternoon care programs, and other facilities with classes or groups of children
- May be provided in-person or virtually.
- May also provide Storytime Kits, which enable facilities and caregivers to produce their own high-quality storytimes.
- Play & Learns at open, ‘come-and-go’ style functions such as family-focused events, school literacy nights, and resource fairs, often in cooperation with staff from nearby branches
- Encouraging kids and families to engage in many different kinds of valuable play
- Building connections in the community
- Sharing information about early learning, library resources, and more
- Lobby Stops at schools and community programs to provide programming, storytime kits, and introductory library experiences.
Reading Rocket Donors
While generous grants from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and Royals Charities played a major role in the initial outfitting of the Rocket, gifts from individuals and other organizations have gone a long way in supporting the growth of this unique early literacy outreach program.
The Reading Rocket’s Forever Book Fund has made it possible to provide brand new books for many more babies, toddlers, kids, and teens so that they can begin to build the home libraries that are so critical to academic success.
In October 2021, North American Savings Bank made a donation to the Forever Book Fund on behalf of its customers that will help keep the Rocket stocked full of books for children throughout the coming year.
To learn more about how you can support the Reading Rocket and other initiatives at Mid-Continent Public Library, visit mymcpl.org/donate.