The Reading Rocket lands at sites all over Clay, Platte, and Jackson counties, delivering quality storytimes and opportunities to help families play, learn, and grow together.
In collaboration with partner organizations and staff from nearby MCPL branches, the team brings library services out of the branch and into the community at large.
The Reading Rocket team works to bring the best parts of the Library experience out of the branch and into the community.
- Early Literacy Storytimes for preschools, daycares, afternoon care programs, and other facilities with classes or groups of children
- May be provided in-person or virtually.
- May also provide Storytime Kits, which enable facilities and caregivers to produce their own high-quality storytimes.
- Play & Learns at open, ‘come-and-go’ style functions such as family-focused events, school literacy nights, and resource fairs, often in cooperation with staff from nearby branches
- Encouraging kids and families to engage in many different kinds of valuable play
- Building connections in the community
- Sharing information about early learning, library resources, and more
- Lobby Stops at schools and community programs to provide programming, storytime kits, and introductory library experiences.