Finding Books on Midwest Genealogy Center's Online Catalog
- Log onto the MCPL catalog
- If you are a Mid-Continent Public Library customer, you may login with your Library card number and PIN. This will allow you to place a hold whenever you find a book you would like to check out.
- You may login as a Guest if you do not have an MCPL card.
- The main search page allows you to search by keyword, author, title, subject, or series.
- After performing a search, you can filter to only see items available at MGC.
- To browse the entire Genealogy Circulating Collection, change the search dropdown from "Keyword" to "Series" and enter "Genealogy Circulating Collection" in the search field.
- To find books within in the Genealogy Circulating Collection, go to the Advanced Search
- Change "Keyword Anywhere” to “Series” and enter "Genealogy from the Heartland."
- Click +Add Another underneath that search field.
- Enter your additional search terms (ie: Jackson County, Smith family, etc.) in the new search field.
- Click the blue Search button at the bottom of the page.
- When you find a book you wish to borrow, make sure it is listed as Available. Books marked as in-library use only or Reference Material cannot be loaned. You may place a hold if you have logged on with a library card. If you are logged in as a Guest, write down the title and call number of the book and request your local library to interlibrary loan the book for you.
Requesting Books from the Genealogy Circulating Collection
Individuals may borrow books in the Genealogy Circulating Collection through their local public libraries. There is no charge to borrow books from the Midwest Genealogy Center, however, some local libraries may charge shipping or handling fees. Any library that participates in interlibrary loan may request books from the Midwest Genealogy Center. Books may be requested through OCLC or can be requested by author and title via a standard ALA-approved Interlibrary Loan Request Form and sent to:
Genealogy Circulating Collection
Interlibrary Loan Department
Mid-Continent Public Library
15616 East 24 Highway
Independence, Missouri 64050
Many books in this collection are very popular and are constantly on loan. Though there are multiple copies of these popular books, there may be a lengthy wait for some books. Requests submitted through OCLC will be filled if the material is immediately available. If a request is cancelled due to the item being unavailable, one may wish to submit the request on a standard ALA Interlibrary Loan Form. These are queued and processed in order of receipt. Please verify using the Midwest Genealogy Center's Online Catalog to ensure the item is a circulating book.