It’s hard to deny that there’s a certain romance in the act of reading. So, this year the 2024 Winter Reading Challenge celebrates romance in bloom with the Literary Love theme!
Whether you enjoy a subtle splash of romance with your chosen genre, true love stories from the past, the science and philosophy behind love, or the full-blown meet-cute romantic extravaganza, we have something waiting for you in the stacks!
The Winter Reading Challenge is an opportunity for adults (ages 18+) to celebrate leisure reading and earn incentives such as the limited-edition 2024 WRC mug by reading ANY five books in two months. (And we do mean ANY five books! Romance not your cup of tea? Not a problem! You can celebrate your personal love of reading by diving into any genre that interests you!)
Those who complete the Challenge, will be entered into a drawing for a lovely grand prize—a top-tier membership to Library Lovers and a gift basket.
Make sure to mark January 15 - March 15 on your calendar and prepare to show some new reads a little love.
Want to enhance your reading experience? Meet fellow romance-enthusiasts in one of our themed book groups, either in-person or online. In addition, the Library is offering all sorts of virtual and branch-based programs to set the right reading mood, including classes on romance-themed crafts, food, movie discussion, and even historical flirting!
- Adult readers (18+) may join online by signing up for a Beanstack account or picking up information at any MCPL location.
- Check out the Suggested Readings lists above for recommendations. These selections have been approved by Library staff to provide a quality reading experience.
- Read any five books of your choosing between January 15 and March 15, 2024. Titles do not have to be included on the Suggested Readings list or within the humor genre.
- List those five books on the online Reading Log beginning January 15 or pick up a paper log at any branch to track your progress. Once you have completed the Challenge, return the log in an envelope to Library staff at any branch by March 15.
- Participate in discussions and programs hosted by MCPL staff via the Winter Reading Challenge Facebook group and programs.
- After you complete the Challenge and have logged your books online or turned in your log to your branch, pick up your mug at any branch. All participants who have completed the Challenge will receive a mug and will be automatically entered into the drawing for the grand prize.
If you post online about what you are reading, use #mcplwinterread to stay connected!
Winter Reading Challenge FAQs
What are the dates of the program?
The program begins on January 15 and ends on March 15. All books must be logged in Beanstack or paper logs turned in to an MCPL branch by that date.
If I live outside of Kansas City, can I still participate?
We welcome anyone to participate, but people outside of the greater Kansas City area are not eligible for the grand prize and must arrange for someone to pick up their mug from one of our branches as we do not ship mugs
Can I only read books from the recommended list?
No, you can read any title you’d like!
Do audiobooks count? What about graphic novels?
Both audiobooks and graphic novels can be logged towards your goal.
Do my personal books (not checked out from the Library) count?
Yes, you are welcome to read books in your home collection.
Do books I read to my kids count?
Yes. However, while all books count, we encourage you to challenge yourself with teen or adult titles. The Winter Reading Challenge was created to encourage adult leisure reading.
Do I have to use the online tracking system?
No, you may use a paper log. Contact your branch to pick one up when you visit the branch or through curbside service.
What do I do if I have a paper log?
Place your log in an envelope and drop it off at the information desk at your local MCPL branch. Any paper log received by the end of March 15, 2024, will count for WRC completion.
How do I get a Winter Reading Challenge booklet?
Booklets are available inside the branch or through curbside service. If you’d like to pick one up through curbside service, contact your branch to request one.
When can I pick up my mug?
This year, mugs will be available at your branch as soon as you complete the Challenge by logging at least five books online or filling out and turning in a paper log at your branch.
How long do I have to pick up my mug?
You will have until April 15.