November 1, 2021
Mid-Continent Public Library has participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) for several years. Over the past four years, the Library’s Story Center has offered unique opportunities for the community to engage in this national month of literary abandon. From 24-hour word sprints to weekly write-ins complete with prizes, Mid-Continent Public Library has embraced our community of writers and this month-long endeavor to complete the heroic task of writing 50,000 words in a matter of 30 days.
Much like last year, The Story Center will provide NaNoWriMo programming in a virtual setting. The Story Center will host virtual, hour-long write-ins via Zoom at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays in November, including November 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30 (registration required for all events). Prizes will be awarded for the most words written during each write-in.* Please submit your word counts to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday of that week to enter, putting “Weekly Word Count” in the subject line of the email. Winners will be notified the following week.
Per tradition, The Story Center will once again hold a 24-hour word sprint beginning at 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 16, and ending at 12:00 a.m. on Wednesday, November 17. The most words written during that time will receive a $25 Doordash e-gift card.* The winner will be announced at the wrap party on Tuesday, November 30 (details below). Please submit your word counts to email@example.com no later than Friday, November 19, to enter. Please put “24-Hour Word Sprint” in the subject line of the email. The winner will be notified the week of November 22.
Once NaNoWriMo ends, it’s time to celebrate your accomplishments! Prizes will be awarded to individuals who complete the goal of writing 50,000 words, with a grand prize awarded to the person who writes the most words during the month of November.* Please submit your final word count for the month to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, December 3, to enter. Please put “Final Word Count” in the subject line of the email. Winners will be notified the week of December 6. Let the race to 50,000 words begin!
NaNoWriMo Timeline of Events:
- November 2: Write-Ins 6:30–7:30 p.m. (submit week 1 Weekly Word Count November 5)
- November 9: Write-Ins 6:30–7:30 p.m. (submit week 2 Weekly Word Count November 12)
- November 16: 24hr. word sprint (submit 24-Hour Word Sprint November 19)
- November 16: Write-Ins 6:30–7:30 p.m. (submit week 3 Weekly Word Count November 19)
- November 23: Write-Ins 6:30–7:30 p.m. (submit week 4 Weekly Word Count November 26)
- November 30: Wrap Party 6:30–7:30 p.m. (submit week 4 Weekly Word Count December 3)
- December 3: Deadline – Submit Final Word Count
NaNoWriMo Related Events:
- December 8: Introducing Pressbooks and the Indie Author Project: Free Self-Publishing Resources from Your Library 6:30–8:00 p.m.
- December 20: Woodneath Writers: NaNoWriMo Winner – Now What? 6:30–8:00 p.m.
Story Center Publication Manager
*MCPL employees and individuals living in their households are not eligible to win a prize but may participate in all activities. In the event of a tie, a random tie-breaker drawing will occur.
Read Similar Blogs: