Midwest Genealogy Center Periodical Collection
Genealogy Periodicals, published at regular intervals whether annually, quarterly, monthly or any other regular (or irregular) time frame have always been an important resource in genealogical research. Much of the information published in genealogical periodicals cannot be found elsewhere. County or state census records, cemetery readings, deeds, probate records, and even birth and marriage records are staple components of periodicals. Some are published by state or county genealogical or historical societies. Lineage societies, special interest groups (including ethnic), family/surname associations, and even for-profit corporations also are included in the list of genealogical periodical publishers.
WHERE TO START:
With over 500 current subscriptions and a total of well over 2,500 titles, the Midwest Genealogy Center has an ever-expanding periodical collection. There are numerous finding guides to help in your periodical search.
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodical Holdings (PDF, 1.6MB).
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodicals Location (PDF, 1.7MB).
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodical Subject Index (PDF, 1.01MB).
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodicals by County Index (PDF, 759K)
- Online Periodicals (PDF, 597K), compiled by Twila Rider of the Midwest Genealogy Center, is continually added to and updated.
BROWSING THE PERIODICAL SHELVES AT MGC:
- United States--Regional States
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI) is a multi-volume set (available here at MGC) published by the Allen County Public Library. HeritageQuest Online also includes PERSI on their database.
- HeritageQuest Online is available by remote access using your MCPL library card number.
- Index to Genealogical Periodicals by Donald Lines Jacobus is a partial index to 85 major genealogical periodicals. Articles are indexed by their main subject.
- Genealogical Periodical Annual Index has been published yearly from 1962 to 2001.
- Mike’s Index – Fox Valley Genealogical Society. This index includes 26 journal/newsletter titles and 7,000 individual volumes held by the Fox Valley Genealogical Society.
- Kentucky Genealogical Index
- Minnesota Genealogical Periodical Index (through 1979)
- Missouri Genealogical Periodical Index (1960-1982)
- Ohio Genealogical Periodical Index
- Virginia Historical Index (shelved on top of the microfiche cabinet)
- The Genealogist’s Address Book