Thanks for visiting the MCPL website.
If you are having trouble finding what you need on our site, the videos below can help orient you.
I can’t find what I’m looking for!
This video will offer some tips and tricks to navigate the website.
I need help finding or registering for events!
This video offers tips and tricks to find and register for events on our website. You can also view upcoming event registrations linked to your library card
If it's been a while since your last visit, you might notice some changes. Our goal is to provide a high-quality experience whatever devices our customers use and whatever needs our customers may have. In the spring of 2017, we adopted a new online catalog to improve the mobile experience and pivot toward a future shared catalog with other Kansas City metropolitan library systems, and in February 2018, we updated the mymcpl.org website to improve the mobile experience, search capabilities, and other features.
These are the top six things to know about updates to mymcpl.org:
- Every section of our site is now mobile-friendly for easier viewing on your phone or tablet!
- The search tool will gather results from our collection, programs and events, and all of our 200+ online resources with a single search!
- Your myLibrary page (available from the homepage) can suggest books, resources, and events based on your interests and home branch!
- You have quicker access to more than 200 online resources!*
- You can register for Library events and programs faster!*
- You have quicker access to the Library's online catalog!*
The video below was produced when mymcpl.org was updated to help acclimate users to the changes. If everything seems new, try watching the video for a guide to the website’s features and navigation.
*In order to enjoy the last three things on the list, you need to set up a My MCPL profile with the online catalog using the instructions below. If you already use our website to place holds or manage your library account, you’re all set!
After you set up your account in the catalog using your MCPL card and PIN, the new mymcpl.org will offer you a streamlined experience any time you are logged in on your own desktop or mobile device.
Other benefits of setting up your My MCPL profile include the ability to:
- Browse and borrow from neighboring libraries including Kansas City Public Library, Johnson County Library, and Olathe Public Library (if you have library cards with those systems) by linking your accounts.
- Place materials on hold and manage your Library account.
- Track your reading and create themed book lists.
- Share your recommendations with the Library community, if you choose.
And don’t worry; if you don’t want to set up an account with the catalog, you don’t have to. You will still get the great benefits of a better mobile experience and better search every time you visit mymcpl.org.
Take a few minutes to create your account now!
Can I take a class to learn more about the new website?
Over the next few months, MCPL trainers will be available to help you set up your new account in the upgraded catalog, explain its features, and give you a tour of the new website. Register now for an Exploring Our New Website class at a branch near you.
How do I set up an online catalog account?
- Go to the catalog.
- Click the Log In / My MCPL button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Log in with your Access Pass number (Library card number) and PIN.
- Your PIN is your birthdate in MMDDYYYY order.
- Verify your personal information.
- Create a username.
- Agree to the Terms of Service (click the checkbox).
- You do NOT have to change your PIN or use the username to log in.
- You can still use your Access Pass number (Library card number) and birthdate as your PIN to log in like before.
I want the “One Login” capability for the new website, but I do not care to have others see what I am reading, listening to, or watching:
Others will not be able to see what you have checked out or have on hold. When you add items to your Shelves and/or Lists, there is a possibility others could see these items, unless you make them private. If you selected a generic username, people will likely not be able to identify you. However, you can make all of your selections private by following these steps:
- Access the catalog.
- Click the dropdown menu and select My Settings.
- Scroll down to Privacy and click My Shelves.
- Place a checkmark in the box next to: Automatically mark newly added items as private. Doing this will ensure all newly added items are seen only by you.
- Click My Feeds.
- Place a checkmark in the box next to: Mark your activity feed as private. Doing this will ensure all comments and rated items are only seen by you.
- To keep your themed lists private, check Make this list private when you create the list.
I want the “One Login” capability for the new website, and although I don’t mind others seeing some things on my lists, I would like to keep others private:
- Go to the catalog.
- As you add a new item to a shelf, you will see a box at the top of your screen with Change to private in blue text. Clicking on that link ensures only you can see this item.
- If you change your mind about the visibility of a particular item on My Shelves, go to that shelf, click on the + Add Details dropdown, and check or uncheck Keep this item private.
- You can create new lists, which have the same privacy options.
How do I find out if the Library has a book I want to check out?
- Use the online catalog to perform a basic search.
- At the top of the online catalog page between the Username button and the Main Menu is a search box.
- Use the Keyword option, or use the dropdown menu to select the appropriate option.
- Select Title and enter the title of the book in the search box.
- You can also enter a title with Keyword selected.
- Search results display.
- Use the filters on the left to narrow your search results.
- An example search:
- Start with “Scotland” keyword search.
- Narrow to > Content: nonfiction > Topic: description and travel
- Use the For Later button to add one of the titles to your For Later shelf.
How do I see my account status?
- Log in with your account information.
- Click the blue Username button in the upper right corner.
- Select My Library Dashboard from the dropdown menu.
- On the left pane, your My Borrowing information displays.
- Click Checked Out for a list of your checked-out items and their due dates.
- Click On Hold for a list of items you have placed on hold and their status.
- Click Fees to see a list of fees and fines that have been assigned to your account.
Can I see my checked out items and holds?
- From the Username dropdown menu select My Library Dashboard
- My Borrowing at Mid-Continent Public Library displays your checked-out and hold information.
- Click Checked Out to display a list of your checked out items.
- Items that are due soon display at the top of the list.
- Physical and digital items are combined in your list.
- Click XX Physical or XX Digital to display just those item types.
- Click Renew link to Renew date due or use the checkmark boxes to renew multiple items at once.
- Add items to your In Progress shelf by clicking the books icon to the right of the title.
- Click On Hold to access your list of hold items.
- Number of available holds are displayed in green
- Holds are sorted in three sections: Ready now, Not ready, and Paused
- Using the Pause link allows you to move up the list, but ensures the item does not come in before the date you select.
- Click Fees to access the fee and payment section.
- My Borrowing is never shared with anyone except you.