Submitting Your Work
The Story Center has been serving print-on-demand customers with its Espresso Book Machine since 2013 and publishing titles through the Library's publishing imprint, the Woodneath Press, since 2014. The Woodneath Press serves the greater metropolitan area of Kansas City, Missouri, and publishes scholarly, literary, and general interest books on many subjects and in various genres.
The Woodneath Press considers manuscript proposals year-round. Before submitting a manuscript proposal, please review the list of criteria, and send your complete package of information for review. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
The screening process can take from six to eight weeks for an unsolicited proposal. If your project is further considered after this initial screening, you will be notified via email or by telephone promptly.
Books are generally published 6 months from the date the Woodneath Press accepts a manuscript for publication.
Your submission should include the following:
- Cover letter detailing your writing experience and information about your project (not to exceed one page)
- A query (for fiction) or book proposal (for nonfiction)
- Your complete, copy-clean manuscript
- Proof of professional editing (your editor’s contact information and brief credentials)
- Any reviews you have secured for your title or previous works
- Your marketing plan, including your audience
- The year you completed the Storytelling Certificate Program and which tract you completed (if you are a recipient of the Storytelling Certificate via MCC–Maple Woods)
If your manuscript has illustrations or images that you would like to include, please send photocopies of the illustrations with the manuscript. Do not send original illustrations, and remember to keep a copy of your submitted manuscript.
Please send your submission in one of the following electronic file formats: .doc or .pdf. Please use a 12-pt. font in Times New Roman or Arial with the manuscript double-spaced and everything else single-spaced.
The Woodneath Press will consider simultaneous submissions, but please notify us that your work is under consideration by other publishers. Please be advised, we do not return submission materials. Please do not send originals, as we cannot be responsible for any original artwork or other content. The Woodneath Press will not accept unsolicited proposals by telephone.
Please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also send the submission by mail to The Woodneath Press, 8900 N. Flintlock Road, Kansas City, MO., 64157.