January 15 – March 15, 2022!
Official Media Partners
The Library is creepin’ it real during this year’s Winter Reading Challenge!
Mid-Continent Public Library invites you to read and get your goose bumps on with a collection of hair-raising, spine-tingling stories. Whether you prefer horror stories of the slasher variety, the more psychological sort, or old-school classics, the Library has something waiting around the corner for you!
The Winter Reading Challenge is an opportunity for adults to celebrate leisure reading and earn incentives, including the limited-edition 2022 Winter Reading Challenge coffee mug. Simply read any five books of your choosing (horror or not!) in two months.
By completing the Challenge, you will qualify to win a spooktacular grand prize—a B&B Theatres Gold Card good for one film a day for a year or one of ten runner-up prizes of a pair of movie tickets and a large popcorn!
Want to enhance your reading experience? Meet fellow fright-enthusiasts in one of our themed book groups or online during our Winter Reading Challenge Facebook group virtual events.
So, mark January 15–March 15 on your calendar, and prepare to lift your spirits with some hauntingly excellent reads!
How do I participate?
- Adult readers (18+) may join online by signing up for a Beanstack account or picking up information at any MCPL location by the end of December.
- Check out the Suggested Readings list for recommendations available in print and online (COMING SOON). These chilling selections have been approved by Library staff to provide a quality reading experience that is entertaining and thrilling and will provide those who don’t read horror books recommendations that will take them out of their usual comfort zone.
- Read any five books of your choosing between January 15 and March 15, 2022. Titles do not have to be those included on the Suggested Readings list or within the horror genre.
- List those five books on the online Reading Log beginning January 15 or pick up a paper log at any branch to track your progress. Once you have completed the Challenge, return the log in an envelope to Library staff at any branch by March 15.
- Participate in online discussions and programs hosted by MCPL staff via the Winter Reading Challenge Facebook group and Zoom.
- After you complete the Challenge and have logged your books online or turned in your log to your branch, pick up your mug at any branch. All participants who have completed the Challenge will receive a mug and will be automatically entered into the drawing for the grand prize.
If you post online about what you are reading, use #mcplwinterread to stay connected!
Winter Reading Challenge FAQs
What are the dates of the program?
The program begins on January 15 and ends on March 15. All books must be logged in Beanstack or paper logs turned in to an MCPL branch by that date.
If I live outside of Kansas City, can I still participate?
We welcome anyone to participate, but people outside of the greater Kansas City area are not eligible for the grand prize and must arrange for someone to pick up their mug from one of our branches as we do not ship mugs
Can I only read books from the recommended list?
No, you can read any title you’d like!
Do audiobooks count? What about graphic novels?
Both audiobooks and graphic novels can be logged towards your goal.
Do my personal books (not checked out from the Library) count?
Yes, you are welcome to read books in your home collection.
Do books I read to my kids count?
Yes. However, while all books count, we encourage you to challenge yourself with teen or adult titles. The Winter Reading Challenge was created to encourage adult leisure reading.
Do I have to use the online tracking system?
No, you may use a paper log. Contact your branch to pick one up when you visit the branch or through curbside service.
What do I do if I have a paper log?
Place your log in an envelope and drop it off at the information desk at your local MCPL branch. Any paper log received by the end of March 15, 2022, will count for WRC completion.
How do I get a Winter Reading Challenge booklet?
Booklets are available inside the branch or through curbside service. If you’d like to pick one up through curbside service, contact your branch to request one.
When can I pick up my mug?
This year, mugs will be available at your branch as soon as you complete the Challenge by logging at least five books online or filling out and turning in a paper log at your branch.
How long do I have to pick up my mug?
You will have until April 15.
What are the prizes?
Winter Reading Challenge Commemorative Mug
Everyone who completes the Challenge and reads any five books between January 15 – March 15, 2022, will receive a special commemorative coffee mug with this year’s theme. If you have collected mugs in past years, you will definitely want to make sure you earn this year’s edition with the 2022 theme.
The grand prize is a B&B Theatres Gold Card, which provides free admission to one film per day for the winner for one year. 10 runners-up will receive a pair of movie tickets plus a large popcorn.
Contest Rules: One grand prize winner and 10 runner-up winners will be drawn at random from all eligible entrants by March 20, 2022. Eligible entrants must be 18 years of age or older, live in the greater Kansas City area, have a valid Mid-Continent Public Library account, have logged five books in two months online or turned a completed log into an MCPL branch by March 15, 2022, and have a valid phone number or email address. Winner must respond within 14 days of being contacted, or another winner meeting the eligibility criteria will be selected. MCPL employees and individuals living in their households are not eligible to win the grand prize, but may participate in the Challenge to earn a mug.