Award Winning Books!
Get Every Child Ready to Read!
- Narrative Skills: Encourage your child to describe things and events in books. Help them to pretend and be a storyteller.
- Letter Knowledge: Show your child that letters are different from each other, they have different names and sounds.
- Print Awareness: Help your child to notice print everywhere. Help them to hold a book, turn pages, and follow the words on a page.
- Vocabulary: Teach your child the specific names of things. What kind of vegetable, what kind of dog, what kind of flower, etc.
- Print Motivation: Find books with pictures and words that appeal to your child. Pictures with children, moveable, texture, bright colors, etc.
- Phonological Awareness: Help your child hear the smaller sounds in words. Through songs, rhymes, and games, help them break down the words.
This information is from a joint project of the American Library Association and the Public Library Association. For more information, visit Every Child Ready to Read .