Genealogy Periodicals, published at regular intervals whether annually, quarterly, monthly or any other regular (or irregular) time frame have always been an important resource in genealogical research. Much of the information published in genealogical periodicals cannot be found elsewhere. County or state census records, cemetery readings, deeds, probate records, and even birth and marriage records are staple components of periodicals. Some are published by state or county genealogical or historical societies. Lineage societies, special interest groups (including ethnic), family/surname associations, and even for-profit corporations also are included in the list of genealogical periodical publishers.
MGC Periodical Holdings:
With over 500 current subscriptions and a total of well over 2,500 titles, the Midwest Genealogy Center has an ever-expanding periodical collection. There are numerous finding guides to help in your periodical search.
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodical Holdings (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodicals Location (PDF, 2.7MB)
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodical Subject Index (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Midwest Genealogy Center Periodicals by County Index (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Online Periodicals (PDF, 868K), compiled by Midwest Genealogy Center staff
The periodicals at the Midwest Genealogy Center are shelved by category. Some categories have subdivisions. Each periodical title is in alphabetical order within their category or subdivision. The categories are:
- United States--Regional States
Topical, subject, and surname indexes have been published for many genealogical periodicals.
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI) is a multi-volume set (available here at MGC) published by the Allen County Public Library. The current PERSI databases (1800-current) is available on Findmypast (in-library use only).
- HeritageQuest Online is available by remote access using your MCPL library card number.
- Index to Genealogical Periodicals by Donald Lines Jacobus is a partial index to 85 major genealogical periodicals. Articles are indexed by their main subject.
- Genealogical Periodical Annual Index has been published yearly from 1962 to 2001.
- Mike’s Index – Fox Valley Genealogical Society. This index includes 26 journal/newsletter titles and 7,000 individual volumes held by the Fox Valley Genealogical Society.
Please note that none of the above indexes are "every name" indexes.
Most long-running genealogical periodicals publish their own annual indexes. Several have compiled comprehensive, cumulative indexes. These are shelved with the title they index. There are a few statewide indexes providing subject/name coverage for many periodicals within their state. They are shelved by Dewey Decimal number in the Reference Collection.
- Kentucky Genealogical Index
- Minnesota Genealogical Periodical Index (through 1979)
- Missouri Genealogical Periodical Index (1960-1982)
- Ohio Genealogical Periodical Index
- Virginia Historical Index (shelved on top of the microfiche cabinet)
- The Genealogist’s Address Book
Titles Not Held By MGC:
Should you discover an article reference that is unavailable in our library, you can ask a staff member to complete an interlibrary Serial Request (the first 30 pages are usually free.) If this fails to produce your article, you can get information from the periodical staff about how to order it from the Allen County Library Genealogy Center for a fee.