The deadline for mug pickup has been extended until April 30.
Jane B., a customer at the Antioch Branch was selected at random from all participants that completed the Winter Reading Challenge of logging 5 books in two months as the winner of the grand prize courtesy of Drury Hotels.
January 15 – March 15, 2021!
Official Media Partners
2021 marks the Missouri state bicentennial and to celebrate this special 200th anniversary, Winter Reading Challenge asks you to "Celebrate Missouri!"
The Winter Reading Challenge is an opportunity for adults 18 and older to embrace the enjoyment and gratification of leisure reading and earn incentives (like the limited-edition 2021 Winter Reading Challenge mug) by reading five books in two months. Everyone who completes the challenge will be entered into a drawing for a special trip to Missouri’s Gateway City, St. Louis.
With this in mind, grab a book and take a trip across the state without ever leaving the comfort of your own home. Visit ghost towns and large cities, relive sports memories, and dive into the history and lore of the 24th state. There are so many Missouri-based authors to explore--best sellers and ReadLOCAL, alike. This is a time to honor our great state with fantastic reads.
So mark January 15 - March 15 on your calendar as we commemorate the bicentennial together. Join the Winter Reading Challenge Facebook Group page today for the latest information before and during the Challenge.
How do I participate?
- Check out the “Celebrate Missouri” Suggested Readings lists (COMING SOON) for suggestions in print and electronic formats! Titles selected by Library staff will complement the theme and provide a quality reading experience that is entertaining, thoughtful, and surprising. Information about the program will also be available at all MCPL branches in mid-December.
- Adult readers (18+) may join online (sign up for a Beanstack account) or picking up information and log sheets at any MCPL location through curbside pickup (COMING SOON). Registration for the Challenge will open on January 15.
- Read any five books between January 15 and March 15, 2021.
- Participate in online discussions hosted by MCPL via the Winter Reading Challenge Facebook Group page.
- List those five books on the online Reading Log or on the log in the back of the Winter Reading Challenge booklet that will be available at your local branch through curbside pickup or drive-thru window service at the end of December. You will be able to enroll on the electronic log soon, but participants can’t log their books until January 15.
- If you complete the Challenge and log five or more books online or turn in your log at a branch by March 15, please visit any Library location by April 15, 2021 in order to receive a limited edition 2021 Winter Reading Challenge mug. Branches that have depleted their inventory of mugs will receive more in late March. All participants who have completed the Challenge will receive a mug.
If you post online about what you are reading, use #mcplwinterread to stay connected!
Winter Reading Challenge FAQs
What are the dates of the program?
The program begins on January 15 and ends on March 15. All books must be logged in Beanstack or paper logs turned in to an MCPL branch by that date.
If I live outside of Kansas City, can I still participate?
We welcome anyone to participate, but people outside of the greater Kansas City area are not eligible for the grand prize and must arrange for someone to pick up their mug from one of our branches as we do not ship mugs
Can I only read books from the recommended list?
No, you can read any title you’d like!
Do audiobooks count? What about graphic novels?
Do my personal books (not checked out from the Library) count?
Do books I read to my kids count?
Yes. However, while all books count, we encourage you to challenge yourself with teen or adult titles. The WRC is to encourage leisure reading for yourself.
Do I have to use the online tracking system?
No, you may use a paper log. Contact your branch to pick one up through curbside service.
What do I do if I have a paper log?
Place your log in an envelope and put it in the book drop of your local MCPL branch. It will be quarantined for three days. After that, staff will enter your information into the system. Any paper log received by the end of March 15 will count for WRC completion.
How do I get a Winter Reading Challenge booklet?
Booklets are available through curbside service. Contact your branch to request one.
When can I pick up my mug?
This year, because of COVID-19, we are waiting until the end of WRC to hand out mugs. You can start picking up your prize on March 16.
How do I pick up my mug?
Call your branch in advance to confirm your eligibility. Staff will bring your mug out curbside when you arrive.
How long do I have to pick up my mug?
You will have until April 15.
How long do to use my prize I have if I am selected as the grand prize winner?
The grand prize can be used until the end of 2021.
What are the prizes?
Winter Reading Challenge Commemorative Mug
Everyone who completes the Challenge and reads any five books between January 15 – March 15, 2021 will receive a special commemorative coffee mug with this year’s theme. If you have collected mugs in past years, you will definitely want to make sure you earn this year’s edition with the 2021 theme.
Due to changes in branch staffing made to reduce branch closures due to COVID-19 exposure as much as possible, Winter Reading Challenge mugs will be distributed beginning on March 16. Customers who have completed the Challenge may contact their branch starting March 8 for pick up through either curbside or drive-up window service March 16-April 15.
Official Hotel Partner
One winner will be drawn at random from all participants who complete the challenge and will receive a three-night trip to St. Louis, Missouri, the Gateway to the Midwest
Contest Rules: One winner will be drawn at random from all eligible entrants by March 20, 2021. Eligible entrants must be 18 years of age, live in the greater Kansas City area, have a valid Mid-Continent Public Library account, have logged five books in two months online, or turned a log into a branch by March 15, 2021, and have a valid phone number or email address. Winner must respond within 14 days of being contacted, or another winner meeting the eligibility criteria will be selected. Winner or winner’s companion must be 21 years of age or older. Grand prize trip may be subject to blackout dates, exclusions, or holidays. Grand prize includes three (3) nights at a Drury Hotels property based on availability, four Saint Louis Zoo Adventure passes, and four tickets to The Magic House, National Blues Museum, and Saint Louis Science Center OMNIMAX Theater. Costs associated with meals and transportation are the responsibility of the winner. MCPL employees and individuals living in their households are not eligible to win the grand prize, but may participate in the challenge to earn a mug.