This Year’s Winter Reading Challenge will ask readers to “Imagine That!”
January 15 – March 15, 2020!
Fantastical stories have been around since before the written word and this year’s challenge will highlight books that tell stories of fantastical worlds, simple fables, and urban legends filled with characters as real as the family next door.
The Winter Reading Challenge is an opportunity for adults to celebrate the enjoyment and gratification of leisure reading and earn a 2020 commemorative Winter Reading Challenge coffee mug by reading five books in two months and qualify to win a special grand prize trip for two!
Prepare to experience the unbelievable with us as we lose ourselves in all the heart-pounding adventures and sensory experiences that will ask readers to “Imagine that!”
Make plans to join a book groups or special program at one of our branches, or online during our Winter Reading Challenge Facebook virtual events.
More information will be coming soon!
How do I participate?
- Check out the “Imagine That!” Suggested Readings list coming in December for suggestions in print and electronic formats! Titles selected by Library staff will complement the fantasy theme and provide a quality reading experience that is entertaining, thoughtful, and surprising. Information about the program will also be available at all MCPL branches in mid-December.
- Adult readers (18+) may join online or at any MCPL location, and begin logging on January 15, 2020
- Read any five books between January 15 and March 15, 2020.
- Participate in online discussions hosted by MCPL via the Winter Reading Challenge Facebook Group page and Goodreads page.
- List those five books on the online Reading Log or on the log in the back of the Winter Reading Challenge booklet that will be available at your local branch in mid-December. You will be able to enroll on the electronic log soon, but participants can’t log their books until January 15.
- If you complete the Challenge and log five or more books online or turn in your log at a branch by March 15, please visit any Library location by April 2, 2020 in order to receive a limited edition 2020 Winter Reading Challenge mug. Branches that have depleted their inventory of mugs will receive more in late March. All participants who have completed the Challenge will receive a mug.
If you post online about what you are reading, use #mcplwinterread to stay connected!
What are the prizes?
Winter Reading Challenge Commemorative Mug
Everyone who completes the Challenge and reads any five books between January 15 – March 15, 2020 will receive a special commemorative coffee mug with this year’s theme. If you have collected mugs in past years, you will definitely want to make sure you earn this year’s edition with the 2020 theme.
Grand Prize: Coming Soon!
*Grand Prize and Contest Rules
Grand Prize: TBD
Grand Prize Contest Rules: One winner will be drawn at random from all eligible entrants by March 20, 2019. Eligible entrants must be 18 years of age or older, live in the greater Kansas City area, have a valid Mid-Continent Public Library account, have logged five books in two months online, or turned a log into a branch by March 15, 2019, and have a valid phone number or email address. Winner must respond within 14 days of being contacted, or another winner meeting the eligibility criteria will be selected. Winner and a companion must be 18 years of age or older and have current passports. Prize cannot be exchanged for cash or other compensation. Reporting and payment of all applicable taxes, fees, and/or surcharges, if any, arising out of, or resulting from, acceptance or use of a prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. Mid-Continent Public Library and the prize provider expressly disclaim any responsibility or liability for injury or loss to any person or property relating to the delivery, use, misuse, acceptance, participation, or possession of the prizes awarded. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations apply. Mid-Continent Public Library, and the prize provider will not replace any lost or stolen prize items. Mid-Continent Public Library employees and individuals living in their households are not eligible to win the grand prize, but may participate in the challenge to earn a mug.