|Register / Log In|
Mid-Continent Public Library's 2018 Winter Reading Challenge ended on March 15 at 11:59 p.m. If you logged five books by that date, please stop by and pick up your limited-edition coffee mug between now and April 2. So many of you participated we had to re-order mugs which are due to arrive early next week! Please contact your branch regarding availability. All who completed the challenge will be entered into the drawing for a chance to win the Grand Prize from Breakout KC!
Join us from January 15 - March 15 for this engaging event for adults. And this year, hold on to your cap and your magnifying glass, because it’s all about the mysteries!
Follow the clues, piece together the puzzles, and get lost in our "Shelf of Suspects." From hard-boiled detective stories to cozy whodunits to chilling tales of true-crime, the mystery genre has something to offer every amateur sleuth.
Our librarians have curated these special booklists just for you! Take a look and start placing them on your “shelf” today!
- Classic Mysteries
- Golden Age Detectives
- Historical Mysteries
- Paranormal Mysteries
- Contemporary Mysteries
- Nonfiction True Crime
In addition, come assess alibis and mull over motives with other readers at one of our many mystery-themed book groups or online during our Winter Reading Challenge Facebook virtual events.
The Winter Reading Challenge is an opportunity to celebrate adult leisure reading by providing rewarding reading experiences and incentives (like the limited edition 2018 Winter Reading Challenge mug) to those who read five books in two months.
How do you participate?
- Adult readers (18+) may join online or at any MCPL location beginning January 15, 2018.
- Check out the Shelf of Suspects Suggested Readings coming in December for suggestions in print and electronic formats! These selections complement the mystery theme for the Winter Reading Challenge and have been approved by Library staff to provide a quality reading experience that is entertaining, thoughtful, and surprising.
- Read any five books between January 15 and March 15, 2018.
- Participate in online discussions hosted by MCPL via the Winter Reading Challenge Facebook Group page and Goodreads page.
- List those five books on the online Reading Log or on the log in the back of the Winter Reading Challenge booklet which will be available at your local branch in mid-December. Please note that you may enroll on the electronic log, but participants can’t log their books until January 15.
- Visit any Library location by April 2 in order to receive a limited edition 2018 Winter Reading Challenge mug. Branches that have depleted their inventory of mugs will receive more in late March. All participants who have completed the Challenge will receive a mug.
If you post online about what you are reading, use #mcplwinterread to stay connected!
A Breakout KC room experience for 8 people at either the original Kansas City Rivermarket or their new Park Place location in Leawood, KS.
Runners-up (2): A Breakout KC Experience for 2 people.
Contest Rules: One grand prize winner will be selected at random from all participants who have logged five or more books between January 15 and March 15, 2018; the winner will be announced the week of March 28. Two runners-up will be selected at random from remaining entries. Winners do not need to be present to win and will be notified by phone and/or email. Winners will have two weeks to claim their prizes after being notified at which time other winners may be drawn. MCPL is not responsible for any expenses incurred by the use of these prizes. Employees of Mid-Continent Public Library and their immediate family members (spouses, children, grandchildren, and siblings) are not eligible for the prizes listed in the contest but may participate in the challenge to earn a mug.