Ever since I came to MCPL about three months ago, I’ve seen more keto diet cookbooks than any other kind of book…except maybe Amish romance novels, which I didn’t expect―but that’s a subject for another day! Being something of a foodie myself, my curiosity eventually got the better of me, and I decided to do some research. What exactly is the keto diet, and why are people going crazy about it?
What I quickly learned is that if you’re looking to lose weight, this method can help you do it in a snap. Essentially, the ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet that sets you up to burn body fat quickly. Along with weight loss, proponents of the diet cite numerous other health benefits. If that sounds intriguing to you, you’re not alone: the diet is gaining more followers all the time, and even celebrities like LeBron James and the Kardashians have gotten behind it. But is it actually effective?
There is, in fact, a science behind the method. When your body is getting very few carbohydrates, it enters a state called ketosis in which it burns body fat instead. The body will typically enter ketosis after a few days of eating fewer carbs, about 50 grams or less. For reference, typical dietary guidelines suggest consuming between 225 and 325 carbs per day. Say goodbye to bread, folks!
Ready to give it a shot? Here’s a small list of food “dos and don’ts” along with a few other tips if you feel like giving the keto diet a try:
- “Yes” foods: meat, fish, eggs, unsaturated fats (avocados, nuts, etc.), low-starch vegetables, and cheese
- “No” foods: sugary foods, grains and starches, beans, alcohol, and sugar-free diet products
- You will get the best and safest results by using this diet for brief periods at a time. Cutting carbs is a good way to lose weight fast, but some carbs are good for your body.
- Come up with four or five go-to, keto-friendly recipes so you don’t find yourself eating the same meal every day and getting bored.
- As always, it’s a good idea to consult your doctor before making any significant diet changes.
Interested in giving it a shot? Pick up a keto diet cookbook at your nearest MCPL branch before they all fly off the shelves! If you don’t know where to start, give this one a try―it’s easy and keto-friendly:
Blue Springs North Branch
Thank you for these details about the keto diet. I am trying this diet and it looks complicated to find some variations... I am not sure how I can maintain this diet when there is not enough variety...