October 20, 2020
Google Forms is a free tool that allows you to easily create opinion polls, event registrations, quizzes, and more. The form can be shared with respondents by emailing a message, copying and pasting a link into a chat, sharing a link on social media, or embedding a link into a webpage. The collected responses are then stored in a worksheet that can only be accessed through a Google account login. Here’s how you can get started:
Step 1: Create a New Form
- Go to forms.google.com.
- Name your form in the top left corner by typing over Untitled Form
- Add questions.
- Click Untitled question and enter your question.
- You may optionally change the response type by clicking the Down Arrow to the right of the default response type.
- You may also make a required question (the user cannot submit the form without answering the question) by toggling the Required switch to the “on” position.
- To add additional questions, click the + in the tool bar to the right of your first question.
- You may customize the theme by clicking the paint pallet icon at the top right.
- You can preview what the form looks like by clicking the eye icon at the top right.
- By clicking the gear icon at the top right, you can change other form settings, such as limiting the respondents to only one entry.
Step 2: Send Your Form
- Click Send at the top right.
- Choose how you want to send the form. There are several options:
- Email – Click the “envelop” icon. Enter the email addresses you want to send the form to, and then you can customize the subject line and message content.
- Link – Click the “chain link” icon. You can shorten the URL by clicking the appropriate box, and then click “Copy.” You can then paste the link into an email or chat.
- Website content – Click the “< >” icon, and Copy and paste the HTML into your website or blog.
- Social Media – Click on one of the social media icons.
Step 3: Analyze Your Responses
- Simply open your form, and click on the Reponses tab. You can see a summary of all responses or look at individual responses.
- You can send the responses to a spreadsheet by clicking the Create Spreadsheet icon at the top right. The spreadsheet is linked to your form, so responses appear in real time.
- You can also download the responses to a comma-separated file by clicking on the More icon and selecting Download responses.
For additional information check out one of the Library’s videos on demand.
Blue Springs North Branch