August 31, 2020
Mid-Continent Public Library’s Square One Small Business Services division will launch a new series of free educational seminars called the Business of Childcare, beginning on Tuesday, September 8. Led by childcare consultant and small business coach Judy Bumpus, each of the three classes in the series will address various aspects of running a childcare business and specific tools that business owners need to succeed. Square One developed the series after seeing the tremendous challenges faced by many local daycare providers during the COVID-19 economic downturn.
“Running a business is never easy, but right now, small business owners—particularly childcare providers—are having to weather incredible challenges,” said Square One’s Morgan Perry. “Our hope is that this series will give local childcare providers the knowledge they need to succeed—now and for years to come. After all, childcare is an essential part of a strong economy!”
Programs in the series, which will be held virtually on the Square One Facebook page, include:
- Tuesday, September 8, at 6:30 p.m. – Business of Childcare: Building Your Parent Handbook
- For any childcare business, caregiver communication is key for success. In this session, Judy will help you answer your customers’ questions about policies, rules, and procedures before they even ask. Use her simple template to keep organized!
- Tuesday, October 13, at 6:30 p.m. – Business of Childcare: Improving Your Profits with Excellent Customer Service
- Excellent customer service involves providing timely and attentive service, but what does it actually look like for childcare businesses? This session will include customer service tips, ways to let a “bad” customer go, collecting fees, and implementing your policies. You will continue to fill out your parent handbook with this information.
- Tuesday, November 10, at 6:30 p.m. – Business of Childcare: Building a Business Plan
- Not sure if you are making a profit in your childcare business? It is never too late to build a business plan to help you set goals and track profitability! In this session, Judy will walk you through her childcare business plan template, designed to help you strategize, organize, and prove to investors you can succeed.
Visit mymcpl.org/Childcare to find more information on these classes and to register.
In addition to educational seminars, Square One at MCPL offers a variety of other free resources and services to local entrepreneurs and business owners, including one-on-one consultations. The group also recently launched a new Career Services program for job seekers. More information about Square One and all its resources and services can be found at mymcpl.org/SquareOne.
This series is made possible by funding from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.