November 21, 2018
I love the holiday season, and my own holiday wish list often contains genealogy-related items. I have previously received genealogy software, a DNA test, and some fun t-shirts. I saw an entertaining genealogy game that might end up on my wish list for this year. Family members have shared videos, photos, and family histories with our family as gifts.
Over the years, we have also given genealogy gifts to family members that took time to create but cost very little. We took blank calendars and added our own scrapbooking pages so our parents who lived far away could have photo memories of kids and grandkids throughout the year. I didn’t realize how treasured those gifts were until our parents passed away. While cleaning out their home, we found they had saved every calendar we had made for them.
So how can the Midwest Genealogy Center help you with your holiday gift-giving?
- If you have out-of-state relatives visiting, you can bring them into MGC and purchase a research card so they can use the Library’s many genealogy resources from home. In addition, they will get access to MCPL’s vast virtual branch, which includes eBooks, streaming music, and eAudiobooks.
- Register for the Creating Genealogy Heritage Albums program on December 6 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Bring your own projects to work on, and get some great ideas for scrapbooking gifts.
- Read reviews on DNA testing to decide which product is best for you. Current and past issues of Family Tree Magazine are available in the Library or from home through RBdigital Magazines. The October/November 2018 issue compares DNA tests from five companies.
- If you need some ideas on how to get started on your family history, check out some books from the Library.
- When you are ready to publish your story, The Story Center has resources to help.
If you want to avoid the lines and crowds this holiday season and instead spend a relaxing day doing genealogy, stop by MGC. The best part is that it won’t cost you anything to use our resources. Now that’s a genealogy bargain!
Midwest Genealogy Center
Add new comment
Read Similar Blogs: