April 7, 2020
The Story Center Collection includes about 2,500 items that support The Story Center's mission to help people create stories, share those stories, and connect with the stories of others. While most of these items are available at MCPL’s Woodneath Library Center, some are available electronically to Library cardholders. Here are some titles that should help you continue to hone your craft and inspire you while the branch is closed:
- On Writing by Eudora Welty
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- Draft No. 4: On the Writing Process by John McPhee
- The Destiny Thief: Essays on Writing, Writers, and Life by Richard Russo
- Steering the Craft: A Twenty-First Century Guide to Sailing the Sea of Story by Ursula K. Le Guin
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg
- On Writers and Writing by John Gardner
- The Art of Memoir by Mary Karr
Try your own search of the Library's catalog and see what you can find!
And while you're on MCPL's website, check out Lynda.com. This resource, also free to Library cardholders, offers writers hundreds of video learning opportunities on a range of topics—overcoming writer's block, selling a novel, and the foundations of fiction, to name a few.
The novelist Ann Patchett once advised, “Learn to write by writing.” These electronic resources, and many others available at MCPL, should help to keep you learning and writing.
-The Story Center Staff