September 13, 2018
September 13 is National Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day! This was started by the Young Chefs Academy (YCA) to help empower kids and teens to become more actively involved in the planning, preparing, and cooking of meals. YCA also wants to foster ways for kids and teens to eat healthier, and this offers an opportunity to educate them and make some cherished family memories.
Here are some tips to make this a fun and successful endeavor:
- If the child is younger, supervision is needed.
- Find a few recipes that are age-appropriate in terms of difficulty, and let your child choose.
- Let your child do as much as possible.
- Remember, this is supposed to be a fun, bonding time. Enjoy yourself!
Here are a few kid-friendly recipe books at the Library that could help you decide on what to make:
- The Young Chef: Recipes and Techniques for Kids Who Love to Cook by Mark Ainsworth
- Complete Children’s Cookbook by Jill Bloomfield
- Meaty Main Dishes by Jennifer Larson
- A to Z Cookbook for Kids by Jacque Wick
Maybe September 13 should also be “National Check Your Fire Extinguisher Day” just to be on the safe side!
Do you have recipes you enjoy cooking with your children? Share below!
Camden Point Branch
Add new comment
Read Similar Blogs:
Student Resources for Kids