February 24, 2021
Mid-Continent Public Library “Express Service” allows customers to independently browse and pick up items inside its branches*, services that were previously unavailable due to COVID safety restrictions. Customers, who must continue to wear a mask over the nose and mouth at all times inside MCPL locations, are now able to do the following:
- Independent and Online Browsing: Customers may select items from the shelves on their own and check them out using the self-check kiosks in each branch. Or, browse the shelves online and pick up their items using curbside or drive-up window service at a branch.
- Technology Services: Public computers, fax machines, printers, and copiers are available for use.
- Pick-Up of Materials: Branches continue to operate curbside or drive-up window service to pick up materials that have been placed on hold, but customers can also retrieve them inside the branch.
- Returns: Items must be returned to an indoor or outdoor book drop. They will be quarantined for 72 hours before being checked back in; however, no fines will accrue from this additional time.
If you need a Library card, you can register online and start using your card today.
Customers are still asked to limit their visits inside MCPL locations to 90 minutes or less to promote lower building occupancy rates for social distancing purposes. Public computers can be used for 60 minutes a day and are spaced to comply with social distancing recommendations. Wi-Fi continues to be available outside the Library’s branches 24/7. In addition to maintaining social distance, customers are asked to wear masks inside the branches throughout their entire visit.
Services that are still not available include:
- In-person Library events (Virtual events are available on MCPL’s social media pages; Dial-A-Story, a phone-based storytime, is available at 816.701.6904)
- Meeting room usage
- Gathering in large groups
- Using children’s computers
MCPL staff continue to regularly clean high-touch surfaces throughout the day and library staff and visitors are required to wear masks at all times. More information about the Library’s available services can be found at mymcpl.org/COVID.
Does this mean that my husband can check out magazines? Previously that had to be done in person because the librarians had a special code they used.
My husband has really missed "his magazines" and asks me every time I pick up or drop off books if he can go in yet.
Thank you so much for all the library has done to help us continue to read. It has been so very much appreciated!
Anita, Boardwalk Branch patron
From Anita Costigan (not verified)
Thu, 02/25/2021 - 08:13am
So glad that the buildings are open for service. I used to go to Parkville branch a couple of times a week and have missed being able to browse the stacks, read the papers and talk with staff. Have always found staff to be friendly, helpful and responsive. I will probably never get used to reading on line as there is something so very satisfying in actually turning the pages of printed material.
From Terri Brittingham (not verified)
Thu, 02/25/2021 - 10:33am
Trying to see what books you might have a available but the website seems to have a problem or I do.
From Chari House Randolph (not verified)
Thu, 03/04/2021 - 09:47pm
Add new comment
Read Similar Blogs: