Over the past few years, men’s facial hair has been growing (see what I did there?) in popularity. A trait that was for many years associated with lumberjacks and Tom Selleck is now everywhere with bearded BAEs on every street corner. November is a particularly popular time for men to explore their inner Paul Bunyan by participating in No-Shave November, which was started as a way to raise cancer awareness, or Movember, a movement that encourages men to grow moustaches to raise awareness and funds toward finding a cure for diseases affecting men’s health (prostate cancer and testicular cancer, among others).
I can’t deny that I rather enjoy this trend—and not just because my own significant other has thick lustrous bristles that would make even Blackbeard the Pirate feel envious. I get a kick out of seeing the variety of facial hair styles that men choose to sport—curly moustaches with waxed tips, long goatees with braids and accessories, mutton chops…the list goes on and on!
In honor of this gloriously groomed time of year, here are a few books and movies that feature exceptional wisdom and/or whiskers:
- Of Beards and Men: The Revealing History of Facial Hair by Christopher Oldstone-Moore
- Mustache Shenanigans: Making Super Troopers and Other Adventures in Comedy by Jay Chandrasekhar
- Knit Your Own Moustache: Create 20 Knit and Crochet Disguises by Vicky Eames
- Mustache Baby by Bridget Heos
- Mustache Baby Meets His Match by Bridget Heos
- Book-o-beards by Donald B. Lemke
- Anything with Tom Selleck
- Lonesome Dove
- Harry Potter series (Hagrid has the beard of all beards)
- The A-Team (Mr. T’s whiskers are legendary)
- Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
What’s your favorite facial hair style?
Marketing & Communications