Did you know that each year, kids ages 0-6 in Missouri vote for their favorite picture book? That’s right! The Missouri Building Block Award allows children to choose the winner. How cool for our little ones—and a great way to bond over some fun read-a-louds!
The award, which was created in 1996, begins with a nomination process that you can be a part of too. Nominate a favorite title, or 10, through this online form. The list is then pared down to 10 titles by librarians, teachers, and parents from around the state. That’s where you come in!
Join in our Building Block Reading Challenge by reading the 10 titles and voting on your child’s favorite. We’ve even seen parents hold the ballot up for their baby to choose with a point! The committee also provides fun activity sheets for you to complete along the way.
This year’s Building Block Award nominees are:
- Shake the Tree! by Chiara Vignocchi
- What Does an Anteater Eat? by Ross Collins
- Duck! by Meg McKinlay
- Octopants by Suzy Senior
- Everybody Says Meow by Constance Lombardo
- Fear the Bunny by Richard T. Morris
- I Can Only Draw Worms by Will Mabbitt
- Dandy by Ame Dyckman
- Pokko and the Drum by Matthew Forsythe
- Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas by Aaron Blabey
Youth Services Department