Have You Heard? MCPL has a New Cat!
Mid-Continent Public Library is proud to bring an upgraded, mobile-friendly catalog to its customers.
Just like before, the upgraded catalog allows you to search our materials, place holds on items, and manage your account. Now you can track your reading, create themed lists, review books, and share your recommendations within the Library community. You can opt to keep this information private if you choose.
Now you have multi-library catalog access!
Because the same software is used in neighboring Kansas City Public Library, Johnson County Library, and Olathe Public Library, you will be able to access the catalogs of all four libraries through a single interface (if you have library cards with those systems).
The current catalog will still be available until Fall 2017, but we hope you will try the new one! We are certain you will like it. Here are just some comments from those using it already:
“I just went through the update process and found it fairly easy and straightforward. (This is important to me, because as I age, I appreciate clarity and simplicity even more than ever.) Thanks.”
“Love using the online catalog. Very easy to use!!”
“YAY! A completed shelf! Finally!!!!”
“Easy to set up with the instructions you gave.”
“It seemed so easy. I am very happy.”
Gain access to the upgraded catalog now by following these steps – you will need your Access Pass (library card) number:
- From our homepage click the online catalog link.
- Click the Get a sneak preview of our new catalog! link in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on the blue Log In/My MCPL dropdown button in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Click the green Log In/Register button. Enter your Access Pass (library card) number and pin. Your pin is usually your birthday MMDDYYYY. Create a username and enter/confirm your email address.
- An option to import any lists you have created in the current catalog will display. When these items are transferred to your For Later shelf, they are marked private. You can easily sort them from the For Later shelf.
- If you have accounts at more than one of the partnering libraries, and have used the same email address for each of those accounts, an option to link the accounts will allow you to easily toggle back and forth between search results for each library.
Over the next few months, MCPL trainers will be available to help you set up your new account in the upgraded catalog and explain its features. Register now for an Access Your Books Online class at a branch near you.
Once you have registered for MCPL’s upgraded online catalog, there are options to do all sorts of fun and interactive things:
- Create and share reading lists.
- Follow your friends and coworkers with library cards and get updates about what they are reading (you will have to know their usernames to find them).
- Keep track of books you have read.
- Rate and review titles that you have read.
- See activity from all other system users all over the world.
- Enjoy all of the above more easily on your mobile devices.
Now that you have registered, you have the freedom to decide whether others can see all, some, or none of your book and resource choices!
Others will not be able to see what you have checked out or on hold. When you add items to your Shelves and/or Lists, there is a possibility others can see these items, unless you make them private. If you selected a generic username, people will likely not be able to identify you anyway. However, you can make all of your selections private by following these steps:
- Access the upgraded catalog.
- Click the dropdown menu and select My Settings.
- Scroll down to Privacy and click My Shelves.
- Place a checkmark in the box next to: Automatically mark newly added items as private. Doing this will ensure all newly added items are only seen by you.
- Click My Feeds.
- Place a checkmark in the box next to: Mark your activity feed as private. Doing this will ensure all comments and rated items are only seen by you.
- To keep your themed lists private, checkmark Make this list private when you create the list.
- Go to the upgraded catalog.
- As you add a new item to a shelf, you will see a box at the top of your screen with Change to private in blue text. Clicking on that line ensures only you can see this item.
- If you change your mind about the visibility of a particular item on My Shelves, go to that shelf, click on the + Add Details dropdown and check or uncheck Keep this item private.
- You can create new Lists, which have the same privacy options.
- Any items from lists you have imported from the current catalog when you registered are already private. Follow #3 above to make this viewable by others.
You can access the upgraded catalog by clicking the link at the top right side of the current catalog’s main page. We look forward to receiving your feedback as you explore the upgraded MCPL online catalog! If you have questions, let us know with the form below.
If you have feedback about your online experience in the upgraded catalog, use the Submit Feedback option at the bottom of any page of the upgraded catalog.