Winter and Your Garden
February 07, 2012
Winter is not usually the time I think about gardening, but this year will be different. I have found out that this is the perfect time to start planning and getting ready for the gardening season! The seed catalogs are coming in the mail, and there are still some outside chores to be done.
Besides all the planning, shopping, and dreaming, I have read that now is the time to:
- Prune your fruit and ornamental trees
- Add mulch to your garden beds
- Protect trees and scrubs in exposed areas
- Recycle your holiday foliage
- Provide food and water for the birds
- Clean and store your garden tools
Be sure to check the library for some of the wonderful books we have on gardening and landscaping. Here are some great suggestions:
- Gardening Step by Step by Philip Clayton
- Tomorrow’s Garden: Design and Inspiration for a New Age of Sustainable Gardening by Stephen Orr
- Better Homes and Garden Perennial Gardens
Don’t forget the library’s databases. You will be able to find gardening directions and tips on the Gardening, Landscaping, and Horticulture Collection and the Home Improvement Collection.