What Is Wrong with the World Today?
April 01, 2011
If you follow my blog posts, you know I have a tendency to be less than serious. In fact, I am often downright silly. But there is much more to life than bog-snorkelling and Momo-hunting. For once, I'd like to use this blog to make the world a better place. Let's take this time to bring attention to some very serious issues plaguing our world and our society.
- Dangerous chemicals in the environment pose a threat to our survival. We all know about the dangers of PCBs and DDT, but did you know about the dangers of DHMO? Check out the Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Center to find out more about this very common yet very dangerous chemical substance.
- It has become increasingly common for unethical pet breeders to create even smaller breeds animals for celebrities to carry around as living fashion accessories. I think the trend has gone too far with Sokoblovsky Farms' lap giraffes. This is just cruel. The only place they would be able to exist in the wild is in a Bonsai forest.
- Many species around the world are endangered by humanity's reckless actions. But did you know that right here in the United States, the very existence of the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus is imperiled? In fact, they are so rare that even though I lived in the Pacific Northwest for many years, I never saw one! Clearly they must be on the verge of extinction.
- Are you concerned about contamination in your water supply? Bottled water is no help, because it often comes from contaminated sources. Even the plastic bottles themselves can be a source of contamination. The only way to be sure you're getting the healthiest pure water, absolutely free of any contaminants, is to use dehydrated water.
- Two-cycle engines are a leading cause of air pollution. You can help reduce air pollution by using electric versions of common lawn and garden equipment. Why not save the air this summer by using the i.Saw, the world's first USB-powered chain saw?
- While many people would argue that animal testing is necessary, there are some cases that just can't be justified. Witness how cats were needlessly subjected to traumatic stimuli in this scientific study.
- Finally, beware of hoaxes on the Internet. Far too many people fall prey to them, especially on April 1st.