Using the Library Makes Cents! Ten Top Ways to Pinch Pennies Painlessly Using the Library
May 27, 2011
Believe it or not—I saved myself $821.00 this month! Did I scrimp, save, and agonize over every dime I spent? No! I took advantage of all the free goodies the Parkville Branch has to offer! Lucky for me, I have a library card. There is no way I could pay for all of the books I borrowed, movies I watched, CDs I listened to, newspapers I read, programs I attended, and genealogy software I used.
Listed below are the top ten ways I saved money by using the library.
- No need to buy the latest hardcover bestseller, I check them out at the library for free! Besides reading the plentiful fiction available, I saved money by checking out books about home repairs and DIY projects. I also checked out some smart books about budgeting.
- Free computer use is available at the library. Also, you won’t feel any pressure to buy a cup of coffee while using our free WiFi.
- Cancelling a subscription to a magazine or periodical can save a little money each month. Come to the library and read them.
- Borrow DVDs for education and entertainment.
- Discover new musical interests or listen to a wide variety of music by checking out CDs.
- Attend free classes!
- Homework help is free online!
- Fun and free entertainment and educational programs are available for children: summer reading programs and storytimes.
- Download free eBooks and free audiobooks.
- MCPL has databases to help you research hobbies, finances, home improvement, resume writing, and hundreds of other topics.
Like most people, I’ve had to economize this year. My motto is: "When the going gets tough, the tough go to the library!" The Parkville Branch is a fun place to explore and a community resource that is here for everyone, whether you are counting pennies, or not. We hope to see you here!