Top 5 Best Things about The Hunger Games
March 12, 2012
In exactly ten days, ten hours, fifty-three minutes, and forty-nine, forty-eight, forty-seven… seconds, this year’s biggest movie (in my completely unofficial and totally biased opinion) will be starting at theaters across the Central Daylight Time zone. Can you believe it? The Hunger Games is almost here!!!!!
It’s crazy to think that the first print of the first book of this insanely popular trilogy came out almost four years ago. Since then, the initial hype of a few teen readers has escalated into a mass hysteria that will explode at 12:00 a.m. on March 23rd. As a geeky adult who reads YA fiction compulsively, I have been riding the waves of that hysteria since I first laid hands on the first two books in late 2009. It is only logical, then, that I put up a blog featuring my top 5 Hunger Games list. Without further ado…
Erin’s Top 5 Best Things about The Hunger Games
- the most extraordinary descriptions of all things, from weird Capitol hair, face, and clothing trends to delectable foods that leave me drooling to brutal and savage deaths in the arena
- the adults cast in the movie—Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman, Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, Donald Sutherland as President Snow—the list goes on and on in its brilliance and perfection
- a rebellion that is all guts and no glory; I love that Suzanne Collins spends this entire trilogy building up to and unleashing a revolution that is simply filled with no easy options—that makes it so much more real
- Katniss Everdeen, a girl who defies love triangle expectations and struggles constantly with believable concerns (including whether or not she even wants to play a part in any kind of rebellion); she is stubborn and emotional and opinionated and yes, selfish, and I love her for being a rather atypical fictional heroine
- having the broadest audience base for a set of books since Harry Potter; bravo for reaching teens, kids, and adults of all ages
Feel free to contribute your own additions to this list in the comments below. There are so many things to adore about The Hunger Games; we want to hear all of your opinions!
If you want to get together with fellow fans to celebrate and continue the countdown to the movie, there are 4 branches hosting Hunger Games Havoc in the week before the 23rd. And if you are worried about post-movie depression setting in, there are 4 more branches hosting Hunger Games Havoc after the big release! Contact each branch for more details.
Ten days, ten hours, twenty-nine minutes, and forty-four, forty-three, forty-two…