Teen Read Week Read-A-Thon, Oct. 17th-20th
October 12, 2011
Come one, come all, come...only if you are a TEEN!!! Next week, October 16th-22nd, marks Teen Read Week, a reading initiative of the American Library Association focused on encouraging teens to read for fun! This year's theme is Picture It @ Your Library and highlights graphic novels, comics, and other works where the visual art is a strong factor in the story. And your Parkville Branch is hosting a Read-A-Thon for all 6th-12th grade patrons from 3-5 p.m., Monday-Thursday.
Now, what exactly is a Read-A-Thon? Well, it can be many things. In this case, it will involve daily challenges, great prize giveaways, food, page sprint reading sessions, and the opportunity to pie our Teen Librarian (yours truly) in the face! (See below for more details of each day.) We’ll be displaying and checking out YALSA’s Great Graphic Novels as well as materials on photography, drawing, and other kinds of art. And we’ll be putting up photos of YOU as we "Picture Teens @ the Library!"
Hope you can join us for any and all of the fun stuff we have planned!
• Door prizes
• Page sprints
• Magnetic poetry
• Doodling table
• Random photo taking
• Working towards the Pie the Librarian/Earn a Pizza Pie goals
Monday, Oct. 17th
• Scavenger Hunt with mystery photo clues
Tuesday, Oct. 18th
• Book Bingo
• Who Will Win challenge
Wednesday, Oct. 19th
• Book to Movie Casting
• Mad Libs/Celebrity Character Love Match
Thursday, Oct. 20th
• Image Hunt with graphic novels, manga, magazines, and more
• Final chance to reach your goal to PIE THE LIBRARIAN (which will happen just before 5)
• Final check to see if we’ve earned a PIZZA PARTY for Parkville’s teens
Parkville Branch Teen Librarian