October 01, 2010
Do your holds sometimes all come at once? Are you going on vacation, and don’t want to miss a hold during that time? Then, the MCPL catalog feature for suspending holds is for you! Suspending holds allows you to delay the arrival of holds for a time period you determine. You will continue to move up in position, but at the point you reach #1, your position will remain #1 until the suspension end date you selected.
Two cautionary details: You may not suspend a hold that is already “available” for you to pick up, and you may not suspend holds on items you requested from outside of the MCPL system, e.g., a WorldCat request. These holds appear in all uppercase letters on your account. For alternatives in suspending WorldCat requests, please contact your local branch library staff.
Give it a try ~ here’s how:
- Log onto http://www.mymcpl.org.
- Click on Catalog.
- Enter your account ID and PIN # under Patron Login.
- Click on View My Account.
- Click on Holds to bring up your list of items on hold.
- Click in the box beside the hold(s) you want to suspend.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the section Activate or Suspend Selected Holds.
- Click in the suspend selected radio button to default to TODAY or click on the calendar icon beside suspension start date, and click on the date you wish to begin the suspension.
- Click on the calendar icon beside suspension end date, and click on the date you wish to end the suspension.
- Finally, click on Suspend Selected and voila! Your holds are suspended.
But wait! You can also remove a suspension. Here’s how:
- Follow steps 1-5 above
- Click in the box beside the hold(s) you want to re-activate
- Scroll to Activate or Suspend Selected Holds at the bottom of the page
- Click in the activate selected radio button
- Click on Suspend Selected and your holds are re-activated.
As always, your branch library staff is ready and capable of assisting you with this or any other library information needs! Just give us a call at your convenience.
Colbern Road Branch