August 05, 2010
When recently doing some research for a customer of MCPL, I came across some strange facts that made me go "hmmh"! I thought I would share some of them just for fun!
- A rat can last longer without water than a camel.
- A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.
- Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying. (I'm really quite a crier, so I so need to try this one.)
- On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily! (I don't know about you but I think this might explain a few things!)
- Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."
- There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple, and silver. (You librarians can take this one as a challenge, if you are so inclined.)
- Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because passing wind in a spacesuit damages them. (I know some men who are not astronauts but should still go with the theory of just don't eat the beans.)
- By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you cannot sink into quicksand. (I hope I never have to see if this one is true.)
- Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with. (Sounds like a champion of diet foods!)
- The Guinness World Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from libraries. (I personally think this is the GED book. What do you other librarians think?)
- Bats always turn left when exiting a cave. (Do you think they always go right when entering?)
- It is impossible to lick your elbow. (I also read a fact that 90% of people who read that one will try it. I have to say I was one of them!)
- The state with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska (Brr!!)
- Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair. (Does this one make you wonder what's in your hair?)
- Coca-Cola was originally green.
- The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of 11: $16,400 (I sure don't want my husband to see this one and start doing the math.)
There are many more of these strange facts out there if you would like to look them up. Try a search for Curiosities and Wonders or Strange Facts as a GENERAL search in the MCPL Catalog or as a GOOGLE search. Have fun!!!Tags: just for fun