September 28, 2011
Hey everyone, it’s that time of the year again. Come join us in our beautiful downtown Smithville, Missouri for our 11th annual Octoberfest. This year’s Octoberfest will be held on Friday October 7th & Saturday October 8th. Vendors will be open Friday October 7th from 5:00 p.m. till 10:00 p.m. and Saturday, October the 8th from 10:00 a.m. till 10:00 p.m. Here are a few of the many fun things going on this year.
- Movie in the Park – Friday @ 8:00 p.m. in Heritage Park. Bring your chairs and blankets along with the entire family to the inspirational family movie Soul Surfer.
- Washers Tournament – Friday @ 7:00 p.m. in the Chamber Garden, Registration begins @ 6:00 p.m. and play begins @ 7:00 p.m., proceeds benefit the Smithville Sting Softball Organization and the Smithville Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Octoberfest Parade – Saturday @ 11:00 a.m., come out and see MCPL's very own Drill Cart Team as they perform for you in the parade. There should be every kind of crowd pleaser for everyone watching this year’s parade.
- Barktoberfest Doggie Dash – Saturday, Registration begins @ 8:00 a.m. – Fun 1 mile run starts @ 9:00 a.m. & walk begins @ 9:30 a.m. Free will donation benefiting Megan’s Paws & Claws. There will be an animal adoption at/near the courtyard following the doggie dash @ 10:00 a.m.
- Octoberfest Has Talent Competition – Two age divisions: 12 & under and 13 & over. Preliminary Competition Friday @ 5:00 p.m. with Finals to be held Saturday @ 7:00 p.m. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd & 3rd in each division. So, come on out and shows us your talent.
- Royal Pageants – Lil Mr./Miss Octoberfest; boys and girls both; ages 3 – pre K, Girl only competitions for: Jr. Princess Octoberfest; K-2nd grade, Princess Octoberfest; 3rd – 5th grade, Jr. Miss Octoberfest; 6th – 8th grade, Miss Octoberfest; High School.
- Octoberfest Baking Contest / Silent Auction of Baking Contest Winners – Prizes will be awarded in the courtyard Saturday @ 2:00 p.m. and beginning @ 1:00 p.m., the baking contest winners will be on display in the gazebo at Bridge & Main with a silent auction for all the prize winning deserts.
- Bands – Friday night in the Chamber Garden from 8:00 p.m. to midnight will be Outlaw Jim & the Whiskey Benders, and Saturday night in the Chamber Garden from 8:00 p.m. to midnight will be Disco Dick & the Mirror Balls.
These are just a few of the many things that will be happening at this year’s Octoberfest. So, plan to come see us Friday and Saturday October 7th & 8th, and experience all the many things that are going on along with all the many vendors that will be there. Oh! and let's not forget the carnival. For additional details, call the Chamber office at 816-532-0946.