Real Fast Food
December 06, 2012
It’s Holiday time! And that means food. It also means busy schedules. Together, that often means there is a need for food that’s fast.
Well, here’s a way to have real food, fast. Get yourself some canning jars with lids. They are easy to find; check Grandma’s basement or the thrift store. You can always find them at the hardware store. Next, when you are making a green salad for your dinner, line up some jars and do this:
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of salad dressing in the jar.
- Next, add some chopped vegetables such as carrots, peppers, broccoli, etc. These will keep the dressing separate from the greens and prevent soggy salad.
- Now add torn lettuce, baby spinach, spring mix, whatever you desire.
- Now top off the greens with grated cheese, shredded meat, boiled eggs, and seeds and nuts if you like.
- Put on the lid, then refrigerate until you need some real food, fast. These keep well for 3-4 days.
Now, with some imagination, you can create lots of fast food. Pasta with sauce, yogurt with fruit, and nuts or granola, you can do it! Do a search online, check our many cookbooks in the 641.5 – 641.8 section at MCPL, and you are bound to find many more delicious ideas.
NOTE: If you would like to carry your lunch, you might find this accessory to be quite helpful. The reusable shopping bags made for bottles of wine are a perfect fit for carrying your jars of real, fast food. Bon Appetit!