PROM (Parents Running Out of Money !!)
April 25, 2012
Parents, are you frustrated with prom season? When did prom become so extravagant? I mean, it has always been a pricey event, but it seems like it is getting out of control lately. What happened to dresses costing around $100 or less, doing your own hair and nails, and the young man renting his tux and driving his dad’s car?
If you are wanting this night to be special without the "special" price tag, be frugal. Here are a few helpful hints.
- Beauty schools will do hair and nails for a lesser price than salon. Or, try doing both by yourself.
- Consignment stores and thrift stores have prom dresses for less.
- Buy your dress at the end of prom season or homecoming season, you can get dresses for about 80% off the regular price.
- Raid your friend’s closets. Sharing shoes, jewelry, or swapping dresses are a good way to keep costs down.
- Boys: you can buy a tuxedo shirt and dress it up with a colored vest and tie, buy black pants and coat a lot cheaper than renting a tux.
- If you are wanting a limo, have many friends go in together to share the cost.
Let’s get back to having fun without breaking the bank!
Camden Point Branch