Palm Tree Climbing
July 12, 2010
'Tis the season for relaxing on the beach, listening to waves gently rolling onto the shore, and immersing yourself in a good book. Okay, you read all the books on the recommended summer reading lists, you splashed around in the water, and you even took a nap under a palm tree. Suddenly a thought occurs to you, could I climb that palm tree? Worry no more! Remember, this is your peaceful, relaxing vacation. Here's how you do it.
A long sleeved shirt is best and be sure to take off your flip flops, then go up the tree barefooted. To prepare yourself mentally, think of a frog. Yes, a frog. Remember when you were a child and the P.E. teacher had you do frog hop relay races with your classmates. Basically, you are going to do this same thing. But instead of hopping around on the gym floor, you will be hopping up the side of a tree.
- Step 1: Place one hand on the opposite side of the tree at chest level, and the other hand at the same height on your side.
- Step 2: Jump up and plant your feet on each side of the tree, with your knees perpendicular to your body.
- Step 3: Jump up with your feet, like a frog, and at the top of your jump grab the tree again with your hands and feet.
- Step 4: Continue up the tree in a series of jumps.
- Step 5: To get down, reverse the actions to jump down the tree.