Newbery Award Winners
July 11, 2012
Kids, are you having a hard time finding a book to read for the Summer Reading Program? Have you looked at any of the Newbery Award winners?
The Newbery Medal is given to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children. It was the first children’s literary award in the world. The Newbery Medal is given by the Association for Library Services to Children.
In order to win the Newbery Medal award, the following criteria must be met:
- The book must have been published in English in the United States the previous year.
- The author must be a citizen or resident of the United States.
- The book must be considered for its theme, presentation (clarity, accuracy, organization), plot, characters, setting, and style.
- The book must relate to a child audience.
- The book must contribute to literature.
- The book must stand alone and not as a part of a multimedia presentation.
Your local MCPL branch should have a list of all of the Newbery Medal Award winners. Another way for you to identify them is by a green sticker on the spine that says "Newbery" on it. You can also see a list of the winners on the American Library Association website.
Colbern Road Branch