Name That Thing!
July 20, 2013
It’s always interesting how we communicate just fine, even when we don’t know the specific word for something. However, finding out the terms for those mystery bits of the universe is always fun, and it can earn you some extra points in Scrabble. So, here are the names of five things you see all the time but might not have a name for.
- Aglets are the little plastic bits on the ends of shoelaces.
- What we often refer to as the “and sign” (&) is actually called an ampersand.
- The feathers on an arrow are the fletching.
- Those blocks of often unreadable numbers and letters at the bottom of an online registration form used to verify that the form wasn’t filled in by a robot are called Captchas.
- The term “uvula” refers to the dangling piece of flesh in the back of the throat.
Oak Grove Branch