"Museum Comes To Life" Day
June 21, 2011
June 24 is . . . . "Museum Comes To Life" Day
Remember the movie, Night at the Museum, where Ben Stiller plays a night security guard at the Museum of Natural History. He gets more excitement than he bargained for. Now, it’s your turn to get excited. Museums are a great way to learn and be entertained. Here are a few websites that list museums:
- Lists of Museums in US: http://museumca.org/usa/
- Art Museums: http://www.artcyclopedia.com/museums-us.html
- Museums for kids in KC: http://www.kckidsfun.com/indoor-activities/museums/
Kansas City is home to a wide variety of exceptional museums, so there is something for everyone - art, history, toys, basketball, jazz and more! The National WWI Museum (formerly Liberty Memorial) is the official WWI museum of US, and its collection covers the entire war.
Nelson-Atkins Art Gallery is recognized worldwide for its expansive collection that continues onto its "lawn with a view", where you will find monumental bronzes and KC’s famous shuttlecocks. Kids will love the pretend play and experiments at Wonderscope. And for the Jazz experience, the American Jazz Museum is like none other.
The Mid-Continent Public Library System can help you learn more with these books:
- Living History Museums and Historic Sites in the United States - Danilov, Victor J.
- Ethnic Museums and Heritage Sites in the United States - Danilov, Victor J.
- Children's Museums : an American Guidebook 2nd ed. - Norris, Joann, 1947-
- Haunting Museums : the Strange and Uncanny Stories Behind the Most Mysterious Exhibits - Schuster, John.
- Museums, Libraries and Urban Vitality : a Handbook - Kemp, Roger L.
- The Treasures of the Steamboat Arabia - Hawley, David
- World War I Memorial - Robins, Maureen Picard.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art : a Handbook of the Collection 1st ed. - Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
Platte City Branch