The Most Important Supply for Back to School
August 08, 2012
Can you feel that? The air is changing. There's a crisp coolness in the breeze. The leaves are starting to change. Sweaters are coming out. And I'm starting to crave the warmth of a good bonfire.
Okay, that's totally not true. But summer is coming to an end, nonetheless. At least according to the calendar. And that means, it's finally my most favorite-est time of year -- time to go shopping for school supplies! I know I've been out of school for more than six years (more than ten if you don't count college), but there's something so exciting about gathering all those important items and preparing for the start of a new school year. Pencils, colored pens, notebooks, binders, backpacks, locker caddies, highlighters, calculators, new clothes, new shoes, lunch meat, cheese slices, boxes of Kleenex, a lanyard with a school ID, and... a public library card? Yep, you read that correctly. Your public library card may just be the most important school supply in your possession. Allow me to explain.
Erin's Top 5 Reasons You Need a Library Card for School
- Entertainment - Ha, you thought I was going to start with something academic, didn't you? But the truth is that we all need breaks from our hard work sometimes, and a library card can provide you with access to just the entertainment you need. Popular DVDs and CDs? The Library's got 'em. Trashy vampire romances? Oh yeah. Sports Illustrated, MAD, and Rolling Stone magazines? You bet. Downloadable eBooks? Internet access for Facebook, gaming, and memes? Links to brilliant, time-wasting websites? Absolutely. Wanna get out of the house and away from your parents? Come to a teen program at any of our branches.
- Research Databases - Writing a persuasive paper on a controversial issue? Conducting an experiment on the conductivity of the wire in your earbuds? Learning a foreign language? Your Library card provides you access to over 270 databases full of professional articles, websites, books, tutorials, and more that are compiled for all your research needs.
- Homework Help - Find yourself struggling with that pesky 2+2 problem on your math homework? Can't remember the capital of Azerbaijan? Need someone to edit your paper on the influence of Homer on present day epic fantasy? Check out Live Homework Help, where you will be instantly connected to a professional tutor via instant chat 365 days a year. All you have to do is sign in with your Library card number, your grade level, and subject. If it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours, these people will help you get the right answer every time.
- Required Reading Material - So you've been assigned to read an American classic. A contemporary bestseller. An award winner. Something that's been banned. Whatever your class requires, we can help you get it. Plus, we can offer the added bonus of potentially having your selection in eBook, downloadable audiobook, large print, or CD audiobook format. Bring your Library card and check your title out for weeks.
- Personal Service - And if you're not sure what you need or want, worry not. We're here for you. Come on over to your MCPL branch; our staff is here to help you figure out what you need. We'll even sign you up for your very own Library card.