A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away...
December 13, 2011
Star Wars isn't just a series of movies. It's a cultural phenomenon. The franchise has spawned novels spanning all aspects of the universe George Lucas envisioned back in the 1970s. There are trilogies of books that explore the backgrounds of Han Solo and Lando Calrissian. There are cookbooks. There are parodies, video games, online communities, and even a religious sect that calls itself the Jedi. A blog devoted solely to collectibles couldn't come close to exhausting everything that's out there. You can buy a Han Solo frozen in carbonite ice cube tray, a tauntaun sleeping bag with an apropos lightsaber zipper, a variety of figurines, a model of the Millennium Falcon, Lego Star Wars sets, and so much more. Star Wars is one of those magical, multi-generational phenomena. Everything about Star Wars is epic: the music, the scenery, the special effects, and the character development. You'd be hard-pressed to meet someone who isn't familiar with (at a minimum) the main storyline of the original trilogy.
The Star Wars universe is full of lots of neat little odds and ends though-details are easily overlooked or not spelled out in the films. Impress all your friends with these fun little factoids:
- The "Tie" in Tie fighter stands for "Twin Ion Engines."
- Han Solo won the Millennium Falcon from Lando Calrissian in a high-stakes game of Sabacc.
- The one thing Han Solo refused to smuggle was slaves.
- It was Chewbacca who convinced Han Solo to go back and help the rebels destroy the first Death Star.
- The original trilogy is told from the point of view of the droids C-3PO and R2-D2.
- Luke Skywalker was originally called Luke Starkiller.
- Han Solo was the only non-Jedi in the original trilogy to use a lightsaber. He used it to cut open the tauntaun on the planet Hoth in order to keep Luke warm.
- Luke Skywalker goes on to marry Mara Jade, a former imperial assassin and the Emperor’s Hand.
- Jabba puts a bounty out on Han Solo because he doesn’t repay what he owes for dumping his illicit cargo when the Millennium Falcon is boarded by imperial stormtroopers.
- The largest creature in the Star Wars universe is the space slug. Han mistakes its gaping maw for a cave during his and Leia’s escape from Hoth.
North Independence Branch